Housing insurance is compulsory in Spain. If you are a renter, your belongings are covered under the property owner’s insurance. If you are purchasing a property of your own, you must insure all buildings on your property. Well known housing insurance companies in Spain include:
- Línea Directa – https://www.lineadirecta.com/LDAWeb/home.init.faces
- Santa Lucía – http://www.santalucia.es/
- Pelayo – http://www.pelayo.com/
- Caser Seguros – https://www.caser.es/corporativa/opencms/es/index.html
The utilities necessary and the companies that provide them vary depending on where you live. For example, some buildings are entirely dependent upon electricity, while others combine electricity and natural gas for heating. Your landlord will inform you of who you should contact in order to change the utility bill into your name. Natural gas and electricity is provided by the same companies:
- Gas Natural (http://portal.gasnatural.com/) & Union Fenosa (https://clientes.unionfenosa.es/CanalCliente/portal/CanalCliente/Home_es)
- Iberdrola (http://www.iberdrola.es/).
- Older housing may also require butane for the water heater and/or oven/stove. Butane tanks are delivered to your home by Repsol (http://www.repsol.com/es_es/productos_y_servicios/productos/glp_butano_y_propano/paises/espana/butano_y_propano_envasado/).
- Madrid’s water is supplied by the Canal de Isabel II
Electricity is an average of about 35 euros per month for a one bedroom apartment. Natural gas may be slightly less expensive than electricity. Neither the cost of electricity nor gas is generally included in the rent. However, water may sometimes be included. However, water is the least expensive utility, about 20 euros every two months.
Payment of utility bills can be made in cash at teller stations in just about any bank. However, the companies prefer that you provide your bank account information so that they can automatically deduct the amount owed from your bank account.
The main postal office in Madrid is located at Paseo del Prado 1, in front of the Cibeles Fountain. The main postal office is where you will have to pick up packages or certified mail if you are not home to receive them and where you take care of any mail related issues. The main postal office is open Monday – Friday from 8:30AM to 9:30PM and Saturdays from 8:30AM to 2:00PM.
For everyday postal activity, locate the post office in your neighborhood using the office locater on the following page: http://www.correos.es/comun/oficinasbuzones/1030-Inicial.asp
The following are national and international shipping companies in Madrid:
- SEUR (national and international) http://www.correos.es/comun/oficinasbuzones/1030-Inicial.asp
- MRW (national) http://www.mrw.es/
- NACEX (national and international) http://www.nacex.es/validarUsuarioPagina.do
- UPS (international) http://www.ups.com/europe/es/spaindex.html
- FedEx (international) http://fedex.com/es/