Visa Type RequiredStudy VisaRequired in Advance?Yes, a study visa must be secured prior to entry into Hong Kong.ValidityStudy visas are valid for the duration of study and are valid for multiple entry during this period. However, visa holders from the People’s Republic of China and Taiwan are required to apply for a Multiple Re-entry Visa at the Immigration Department in Hong Kong.Number of Entries

Within the validity period, a re-entry visa is not required provided that the visa holder’s personal circumstances has not changed.

Nationalities ExemptAll nationalities can apply, except nationals of Afghanistan, Albania, Cambodia, Cuba, Laos, North Korea, Nepal and Vietnam.Required Documents / Specific Conditions

  • Visa entry application form ID 995A.
  • Copy of the applicant’s passport containing personal particulars
  • A letter of acceptance from the educational institution
  • A consent letter should be signed by a parent and a relative/friend in Hong Kong who will be the guardian of the applicant (if under the age of 18)
  • Proof of the applicant’s accommodation arrangement (if under the age of 18)
  • Proof of the applicant’s financial support, eg. bank statements, tax receipts and salary slips

Additional Specific Conditions

The applicant needs to nominate a local sponsor, which can either be the educational institution granting the acceptance or an individual. If the local sponsor is an individual, he/she should be:

  • Aged 18 or above
  • A Hong Kong resident
  • Acquainted with the applicant
  • Financially capable to support the applicant and provide him/her with accommodation.

You are not allowed to take up employment or join a business while you are in Hong Kong on a student visa though non-local students who are enrolled in full time degree level programs are allowed to take up internships which have to be endorsed by the educational institution that they are studying in and have to be curriculum related. They are also allowed to work on-campus for twenty hours a week.Dependent’s RightsMarried dependents and children under 18 of an individual holding a study visa may enter Hong Kong, providing the visa holder is able to sponsor the dependents and prove they have sufficient financial funds to support the dependents. Same-sex marriages do not qualify. Dependents are permitted to remain in Hong Kong for as long as their sponsor holds a study visa. Should the sponsor leave, the dependent is also required to leave. Dependents of an individual holding a study visa are not allowed to work and have to have permission from the Director of Immigration if they want to do so.Application ProcessThe application process takes up to two months. Applications should be submitted via the sponsoring institution. After approval of the application, a Visa/Entry permit label/sticker is issued to the sponsor for onward distribution to the applicant. The visa label should be affixed to the passport prior to entry into Hong Kong, the student can do this him/herself. Similar labels will be issued for all dependents.Additional Comments

Study visa holders are only permitted to study at the educational establishment at which their sponsorship is held. They are not allowed to work in any type of paid or unpaid employment, although students of full-time courses at degree level or above are allowed to take on employment during the summer months. Internships are allowed, but must be curriculum-related and arranged by the sponsoring institution, and must not exceed one academic year.

For More