While department stores can be pricey, there are many other clothing stores that offer more affordable options besides the international chains that you may already know. You will find almost every international chain in Paris, including H & M, Gap, and Zara among many others. Check their websites for the Parisian locations. Below is a list of French chains that you may not recognize. These offer affordable clothing and have locations throughout Paris.
- Comptoir des Cotonniers, http://www.comptoirdescotonniers.com, is a wonderful and reasonably-priced resource for women’s and children’s clothing. They carry classic clothes with a modern edge, and are quite well made. The website is available in French, German, English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, and Chinese.
- C&A, http://www.c-et-a.fr, offers good ready-to-wear clothes for the whole family, including maternity and larger size departments. It is quite inexpensive. Visit the website for locations and hours.
- Celio, http://www.celio.com, is exclusively for men and carries clothing from casual to office attire. Simple alterations are free of charge. Check the website (English version available) for locations and hours.
- Etam, http://www.etam.com, is for women and carries clothing and extensive and inexpensive lingerie selections Visit the website for locations and hours.
- Jules, http://www.jules.fr, is another affordable men’s store with 4 locations in Paris. Visit the website for locations and hours.
- Promod, http://www.promod.com, offers reasonably priced clothing for women. Visit the website for locations and hours.
- The Kooples, http://www.thekooples.com, has trendy, “urban-chic” clothing for men and women. Their lines are a fusion of British and French styles for their traditional line and American/French for their sport line. It is moderately expensive.
- Maje, http://www.maje.com, carries very Parisian styles for women. There are numerous shops in Paris and most have very good staff who give great advice about how to wear their styles. Some women complain that the sizes run small.
Surprising, there are some affordable shops for children’s clothes. Besides the department stores and international chains, look for the French chains, Du Pareil au Meme (http://www.dpam.com), Vertbaudet (http://www.vertbaudet.fr) and Sergeant Major (http://www.sergent-major.com) with inexpensive to reasonable clothing, and Jacadi (http://www.jacadi.fr), which is a bit more expensive. Bonpoint (http://www.bonpoint.com/fr/storelocator) is a French institution with expensive, but beautifully made children’s clothing. Here are a few discount and depot-ventes especially for kids and moms-to-be:
- Secrets d’Enfance (http://www.secretsdenfance.fr), 90 rue de l’abbé Groult 75015 01.55.76.97.75; Depot vente for designer clothing for children 0-6.
- Bambin Troc (http://www.bambintroc.fr), 4, rue de l’Abbe-Groult 75015, 01.42.50.77.93; Discount shop for all children, with many designer labels and a maternity section.
- Trottinette ( http://www.depot-vente-trottinette.com/depot-vente.htm), 9, rue Parrot 75012 01.43.40.44.60; Designer deopt vente for children 0-14 with toys and equipment, as well.
- En Poussette Simone! (http://www.enpoussettesimone.com) is an online depot vente for children 0-8. The website displays clothing and baby/kids’ equipment. They will come to your house to pick up items that you would like to sell. If you’re buying, items will be shipped to your home.
See the sections under “Shopping – Flea Markets” for relevant listings.
In each neighborhood you will find small shops that do ‘retouches’, and they are the most inexpensive places to have your hems turned up or your buttons sewn on. In many cases, neighborhood dry cleaners also perform these services.
John Baillie, 1 rue Auber 75008, http://www.johnbaillie.fr; This is mainly for bespoke suits but other garments may be arranged on a case-by-case basis.
Charvet, 28 place Vendome 75001, 01.42.60.30.70; If you really want to do it properly, have your shirts made here, where clients have included everyone from the Duke of Windsor to Sofia Coppola. Exquisite tailoring, and prices to match.