There are scores of organizations and clubs for English-speaking residents in Paris that provide practical information, social activities, opportunities for community service, ways to develop your fields of interest, and perhaps most importantly, a venue for making friends.
Make sure you ask about membership requirements and fees when you contact one of the organizations. And, also contact your embassy who may have more listings.
- Accueil des Villes Francaises, http://www.avf.asso.fr; AVF has 5 locations throughout Paris and is a welcome service to make newcomers feel at home. Through this group you can connect to your local community, get practical information, make friends and improve your French.
- The American Club of Paris, 34 avenue de New York 75016, 01.47.23.64.36, http://www.americanclubparis.org; This social club’s purpose is to encourage social and cultural activities among Americans and Non-Americans concerned with American and international affairs. To become a member, you must be sponsored. Check the website for details.
- The American Women’s Group in Paris (AWG), 7 cite de Falguiere 75015, 01.42.73.36.74, http://www.awgparis.org; The AWG promotes Franco-American friendship through social and cultural activities. The group offers monthly coffee get-togethers with speakers, guided museum and city tours, lunches, and book, walking and French conversation clubs in addition to other activities. It is open to English speakers of all nationalities.
- British and Commonwealth Women’s Association (BCWA), 157 rue du Faubourg St. Honore 75008, 01.47.20.50.91, http://bcwa.paris.online.fr; This is a non-profit organization for women with British and Commonwealth ties. They have an English-language library, lectures and many monthly activities.
- The Caledonian Society of France, 01.47.70.67.71, http://www.caledonian-society-france.org; A society bringing Scottish people living in Paris together.
- Canadian Cultural Centre, 5 rue de Constantine 75007, 01.44.43.21.90, http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/france/cultural_relations_culturelle…