There are scores of organizations and clubs for English-speaking residents in Paris that provide practical information, social activities, opportunities for community service, ways to develop your fields of interest, and perhaps most importantly, a venue for making friends.
Make sure you ask about membership requirements and fees when you contact one of the organizations. And, also contact your embassy who may have more listings.
- Accueil des Villes Francaises, http://www.avf.asso.fr; AVF has 5 locations throughout Paris and is a welcome service to make newcomers feel at home. Through this group you can connect to your local community, get practical information, make friends and improve your French.
- The American Club of Paris, 34 avenue de New York 75016, 01.47.23.64.36, http://www.americanclubparis.org; This social club’s purpose is to encourage social and cultural activities among Americans and Non-Americans concerned with American and international affairs. To become a member, you must be sponsored. Check the website for details.
- The American Women’s Group in Paris (AWG), 7 cite de Falguiere 75015, 01.42.73.36.74, http://www.awgparis.org; The AWG promotes Franco-American friendship through social and cultural activities. The group offers monthly coffee get-togethers with speakers, guided museum and city tours, lunches, and book, walking and French conversation clubs in addition to other activities. It is open to English speakers of all nationalities.
- British and Commonwealth Women’s Association (BCWA), 157 rue du Faubourg St. Honore 75008, 01.47.20.50.91, http://bcwa.paris.online.fr; This is a non-profit organization for women with British and Commonwealth ties. They have an English-language library, lectures and many monthly activities.
- The Caledonian Society of France, 01.47.70.67.71, http://www.caledonian-society-france.org; A society bringing Scottish people living in Paris together.
- Canadian Cultural Centre, 5 rue de Constantine 75007, 01.44.43.21.90, http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/france/cultural_relations_culturelles/index.aspx?view=d; Offers art exhibitions of visual, performing, writing and screen arts, and cultural events.
- Canadian Women’s Group (Association des Femmes Canadiennes a Paris), 5 rue de Constantine, 75007, 01.44.43.21.03; Group giving newcomers a helping hand and friendly voice.
- MeetUp Paris (http://www.meetup.com/ExpatsParis) is a friendly, casual group of over 6,500 expats from all over the world. It’s Internet-based with a forum for members, announcements and frequent and varied social activities.
- Association of American Wives of Europeans (AAWE), 34 avenue de New York 75016, 01.40.70.11.80, http://www.aaweparis.org; A social and cultural group of American women living in Europe. The group holds talks on tax, citizenship, property issues and other topics of interest.
Business and Professional Organizations
- The American Club of Paris, 34 avenue de New York, 75116 Paris, 01.47.23.64.36, (http://www.americanclubparis.org); Although primarily a social group, this is a very well-established networking organization for high-powered professionals and politicians.
- The Travellers, 25 ave des Champs Elysees, 01.43.59.75.00. This British-style men’s club caters to Anglophone professionals.
- American Chamber of Commerce, 77 rue de Miromesnil, 75008 Paris, Tel 01.56.43.45.67, Fax 01.56.43.45.60, (http://www.amchamfrance.org). Business hours are Monday-Thursday 9:30-13:00 and 14:00-17:30; Friday 9:30-13:00. The American Chamber of Commerce France is not open to the public, so please call before going, as they may have a meeting or event taking place.
- British Chamber of Commerce Franco-British Chamber of Commerce & Industry, 10 Rue de la Bourse 75002 Paris. Tel: 08 25 59 57 02 Fax. 01 53 30 81 35 (http://www.francobritishchambers.com). The Chamber is open to the public Wednesday to Friday from 2pm until 5pm. Please note that the infomation requests will only be dealt with if sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Canadian Chamber of Commerce, 5 rue de Constantine 75007 Paris Tél. : 01 43 59 32 38 (http://www.ccfc-france-canada.com)
- Democrats Abroad, http://www.democratsabroad.org/; This group represents the U.S. Democratic Party in France and aids Americans in the voting process.
- Republicans Abroad, https://www.facebook.com/pages/Republicans-Overseas-France/282107408499870; This group represents the U.S. Republican Party in France.
- The Paris Golf & Country Club, 121, rue du Lieutenant-Colonel de Montbrison, 92500 Rueil-Malmaison, 01.47.77.64.00 (http://www.pariscountryclub.com) This is a full-service golf and country club with facilities for golf, tennis, swimming, bridge – plus there are several restaurants and a cinema.
- Standard Athletic Club, Au Clos Obeuf, Route Forestière du Pavé de Meudon, 92360 Meudon-La-Foret, 01.46.26.16.09, (http://www.standac.com) This British-founded club has facilities for tennis, cricket, football/soccer, swimming and billiards. There is a restaurant and special activities for children.
Community Service Organizations
- SOS Help, (http://www.soshelpline.org) 01.46.21.46.46 This helpline provides English-language assistance to people in crisis. Contact them directly for volunteer information.
- Junior Service League of Paris, 34 avenue de New York, 75016 Paris, 01.47.20.00.03 This women’s group provides volunteer services in the fields of health and child welfare.
- Tous Benevoles, (http://www.tousbenevoles.org) This website allows you to search for projects by location, charity or volunteer activity. It is in French and the volunteers are expected to speak French. However, you can contact Armelle Lévy-Collin who in charge of the English-speaking volunteer opportunities at email@example.com if you are still working on your French.
- Toastmasters International, http://www.toastmasters.org; English and bilingual clubs providing a mutually supportive and positive learning environment. Seeks to develop leadership and communication skills, including the art of speaking, listening and thinking.
- The American Church, 65 quai d’Orsay, 75007, 01.40.62.05.00, http://www.acparis.org; The Amercian Church has several groups including multicultural couples, a men’s group, and an African and Filipino fellowship. The groups tend to be international and interdenominational and help people connect through programs of cross-cultural awareness, spiritual growth, study and service.
- (WICE) Institute for Continuing Education, 10 rue Tiphaine 75015, 01.45.66.75.50, http://www.wice-paris.org; This non-profit Anglophone association offers dozens of cultural and educational programs and courses in English (some in French) to hundreds of men and women from the international community.