The French Institute of Baha’i Studies offers prayer meetings, study sessions, lectures, courses for adults and children, and other information for the Baha’i community of Paris at 45 rue Pergolèse, 75116. More information, in French, may be found on their website: http://www.institut-bahai.fr/
There are two Buddhist temples right next to one another in the 13th arrondissement. The Alter of the Worship of Buddha is on rue du Disque, one of the streets that runs underneath the Terrasse des Olympiades. The other is the Amicale des Teochew, which is on the terrace itself. Additionally there is the Buddhist Center of Paris located at 25 rue Condorcet, 75009. It offers courses on Buddhism, meditation and Buddhist retreats as well as Hatha yoga. More information may be obtained by calling 01.44.53.07.31, or on their website (in French): http://www.centrebouddhisteparis.org.
The city’s more than 200 Catholic churches offer regular masses and confessions. Churches open at about 8am and generally hold 3 masses daily, more on Sunday. Masses and confession in English can be heard at St. Joseph’s Church at 50, avenue Hoche 75008, 01.42.27.28.56. The Catholic Information Center is at 8, rue de la Ville-l’Eveque 75008, 01.49.24.11.44.
The Temple Sri Manika Vinayakar Alayam is located at 72 rue Philippe de Girard, 75018. It is open from 9:30 am until 8:30 pm daily, with three daily poojas at 10 am, 12 pm and 7pm. Abhishekam is performed on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. For more information, you may call 01.40.34.21.89 or 01.42.09.50.45 or view their website (in French, Tamil, English or German) at: http://templeganesh.fr.
La Mosquee Place du Puits-de-l’Ermite 75005, 01.45.35.97.33, http://www.mosqueedeparis.net, is at the heart of the Muslim religion in Paris. It is a beautiful building with a tea room and hammam within its walls, as well as gardens, and guided tours are offered everyday except Friday. Contact them for worship times as well as information on other mosques. The Institut du Monde Arabe, 1 Rue Fossés St Bernard 75005, 01.40.51.38.09, http://www.imarabe.org, also has information on the Muslim community in Paris.
Judaism in France is divided into Non-Consistoire (ultra-Orthodox), Consistoire (Orthodox), Massorti (traditionally Conservative) and Liberale (between Conservative and Reform). Within Paris there are about 80 synagogues that house these. Most are commonly called by their street names and not their official names. Kehilat Gesher, the French-Anglophone Jewish congregation at 10, rue de Pologne 78100 St-Germain-en-Laye, 01.39.21.97.19, is a liberale community with Shabbat services in Hebrew, French, and English. Services are held in St-Germain-en-Laye and in Paris.
For information on the Orthodox community, inquire at the Association Consistoriale Israelite de Paris, 17, rue St-Georges 750019, 01.40.82.26.26, or at the Centre Rachi, 39 rue Broca 75008, 01.42.17.10.10.
There are very few, only about 1 percent, French Protestants today. Because of an influx of Protestant foreigners, however, there are many opportunities for Anglophone worship. Call the Federation Protestante de France, 47, rue de Clichy 75009, 01.44.53.47.00 for information.
The churches below offer services in English, and many have social activities for parishioners.
- Anglican/Episcopal – American Cathedral of the Holy Trinity, 23, avenue George V 75008, 01.53.23.84.00
- Anglican – St. George’s Anglican Church, 7, rue Auguste-Vacquerie 75016, 01.47.20.22.51 and St. Michael’s English Church, 7, rue d’Aguesseau 75008, 01.47.42.70.88
- Baptist – Emmanuel Baptist Church of Paris, 56, rue des Bons-Raisins 92500 Rueil-Malmaison, 01.47.51.29.63
- Christian Science – First Church of Christ, Scientist, 36, boulevard St-Jacques 75014, 0147.07.26.60; 58, bouldevard Flandrin 75016, 01.45.04.48.93; 30, rue de Penthievre 75008, 01.45.62.19.85
- Church of Christ – Church of Christ, 4, rue Deodat-de-Severac 75017, 01.42.27.50.86
- Lutheran – Lutheran Church, 16, rue Chauchat 75009, 01.47.70.80.30
- Mormon – Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, 64, rue de Romainville 75019, 01.42.45.28.57
- Presbyterian Church of Scotland – Scots Kirk, 17, rue Bayard 75008, 01.48.78.47.94
- Protestant – The American Church in Paris, 65, quai d’Orsay 75007, 01.40.62.05.00.
- Quaker – Religious Society of Friends, 114 bis, rue de Vaugirard 75006, 01.45.48.74.23
The Russian Church of Saint-Alexandre Nevski, rue Daru, 75008 Paris offers services to the faithful and was the first Russian orthodox church in France. For information on services contact 01.42.27.37.34 or http://www.cathedrale-orthodoxe.com.