Because the internet is a must when you live abroad, you will want your connection up and running as soon as possible.
The amount of time it takes to get a connection will depend on the efficiency of the company you choose. Your landlord or building society committee can suggest an internet service provider. In most cases, you’ll be able to select the download speed you want and whether you want limited or unlimited bandwidth.
Setting up a Connection
- Passport for identity proof
- Residence proof
- Possibly a passport-sized photo
To order a connection:
- Call the company you’ve chosen and set an appointment for a technician to come to your house.
- The technician will explain the plans you can choose from. The technician (and probably one or two other technicians) will install the internet once a plan has been selected and after a down payment has been made.
- If your building is not already prepped for the type of connection you want, then it will take some time (from a few days to a few weeks) for the wires to be installed.
- The technician can also set up wireless routers for you if you need them.
- Be sure to get a phone number or two to call in case the internet stops working.
- You will probably receive monthly bills, though some companies allow you to choose between making monthly, quarterly, half yearly, or annual payments.
Costs depend on the speed of the connection and bandwidth limitations. You can expect about Rs. 2,000 per month for a 2 Mbps connection with unlimited bandwidth with a monthly payment plan.
Internet Service Providers
Phone: 3033 3333
Phone: 6060 7070
Internet Cafes, Wi-Fi, and USB Internet Devices
There are internet cafes, often called cyber cafes, in Mumbai. It’s tricky to spot them since most are little shops wedged between other shops and stores. Click here for a Yellow Pages list of internet cafes in Mumbai. You can access cheap Wi-Fi internet at a Barista Coffee Shop. Click here for a Barista Coffee Shop locater and find one near you.
The Palladium Mall in Phoenix Mills offers Wi-Fi connections. Stop at one of the wi-fi counters throughout the mall to buy an account. Palladium Mall, Phoenix Mills Compound, 462 Senapati Bapat Marg, 400011 Lower Parel.
Another internet option are pre-paid, portable USB internet devices, such as the Tata Photon Plus or Reliance Netconnect. These USB devices work quite well, and if you face frustrations with installing internet in your home, they can be a temporary solution until your connection is running.