Do I have to register?
You must register at the Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) if you wish to stay in India for more than 180 days:
- Register at the FRRO if you have a visa valid for longer than 180 days
- Register at the FRRO if you have a visa valid for 180 or less but you want to stay in India for more than 180 days.
You will need to return to the FRRO each time you change addresses to update your registration booklet.
What and Where is the FRRO?
The FRRO is a sect of the Police department with the aim of registering and keeping track all foreigners who are residing in India.
Foreigners Regional Registration Office (FRRO) Mumbai
3rd Floor, Special Branch Bldg.,
Badruddin Tayabji Lane (Behind St. Xaviers College)
Mumbai – 400001
Open: Monday – Friday, 10:00 – 14:00. Sometimes open on Saturdays, call in advance.
Phone: +91 99 022-2262-0446
Fax: +91 99 022-2262-0721
What do I get when I register?
Upon registration, you will receive a residential permit, which will allow you to open an Indian bank account. You’ll also receive a foreigners registration booklet, which looks like an antiquated passport. Your registration booklet can help you get discounts (local Indian rates) at hotels and restaurants.
Documents Required for FRRO Registration
You should fill out the appropriate registration forms online at the website http://www.indianvisaonline.gov.in/. You will receive a case number and will be able to make an appointment to complete the registration process.
Brings lots of extra copies and organize all documents before you arrive to make the long, tedious process smoother.
- Registration Form (Filled out online)
- Passport copies: Four copies of the passport page; Four copies of the Indian visa page; Four copies of the arrival stamp page.
- 4 passport size photographs
- Letter of Undertaking from Indian employer for an employment visa
- Letter of Undertaking from the assignee company for a business visa
- Certificate of Incorporation
- Copy of either the PAN card (Personal Account Number card, issued by the Indian Tax Income Department) or the passport of the Indian national or resident signing the documents.
- Proof of residence in Mumbai (hotel booking or rental agreement)
- Marriage certificate (if your spouse is with you)
- Fee payment
In addition to the documents listed above, you might need more papers depending on your situation:
- Student Visa: Bona fide certificate from recognized college, university, or institution.
- Journalist Visa: Accreditation certificate from the Press Information Bureau
- Business or Joint Venture: Copy of approval from the Government of India; copy of permission from the Reserve Bank of India
Please Note: Copies of all required documents must be made for each accompanying family member, not just the employed person or student, etc.