Once you have thought through the consequences of giving up your Australian passport and are convinced that you are making the right decision then you can start the process. This section details the steps you will need to take in order to give up your Australian passport for good.
1) Gather required proof of identity documents
You will be required to produce a number of proof of identity documents and these are as follows:
- A birth certificate or equivalent that shows evidence of your date and place of birth.
- Evidence of any name changes, e.g. marriage certificate.
- A copy of your passport.
- Evidence of your current address.
- Proof of identify form complete and signed by an individual who has known you personally for at least a year, is not related to you by birth or marriage and is from a qualifying profession or occupation. Please consult the list of acceptable professions. As well as completing Part E of the application of renunciation of Australian citizenship: Form 128, the person qualifying your proof of identity should sign the back of a passport sized photograph of yourself, writing the words This is a true photograph of (your full name).
2) Gather supporting documents
In addition to the proof of identity documents, you will also need documents that prove you will be seeking citizenship elsewehere. You will need the following:
- A full birth certificate if you were born in Australia, or your Australian citizenship certificate if you were born elsewhere.
- Evidence of your acquisition of foreign citizenship, or proof that you will be gaining citizenship of a foreign country once you have successfully renunicated your Australian citizenship.
3) Copy and certify your documents
Once you have all the relevant documents available, you will need to have them copied and certified. An Australian citizen from a designated list of occupations can do this. If you are not in Australia you will need to have the documents certified by a citizen of your current country of residence who is also employed within one of the permitted professions.
4) Complete your application and pay the processing fee
In order to renounce your Australian citizenship you will need to complete Form 128.
Payment can be sent by post together with your application form. Payment can be through providing details of your credit card, through a bank cheque or money order. Make sure you check the details of the payment required in advance and make any bank cheques or money orders out for the correct amount.
If you are applying from overseas you will need to consult with your local Australian mission as to the fees and payment process.
5) Lodge your application
Once you are confident you have the correct documentation copied and countersigned and have completed the application form in full, you can then post the application and supporting documents to your nearest Australian office or the nearest Australian mission if you are overseas.
The average processing time is 12 weeks.
— One Comment —
I possibly need to surrender my Australian passport as it is in my maiden name which means I cannot apply for the renewal of my British passport (in my married name)
I urgently require my British passport as I travel a lot with work and therefore I cannot work because I cannot renew it.
My Australian passport expired on the 8th December 2021
Document no. N4672508
Name: Rosemary Ann Davies (my maiden name)
I moved to Australia as a child with my parents and became an Australian citizen whilst living in Australia. In 1991 I left Australia and moved back to the UK for work.
Unfortunately my Australian Certificate was lost and never replaced.
I do not necessarily want to surrender my Australian passport and citizenship but think this is the fastest way of me getting my renewed British passport. Can I reapply after this process? I urgently need the ability to travel.
Rosemary Cook (nee Davies)