Visa Extension Guide

The extension of a Schengen visa will only be considered if you need an extension because of serious occupational/personal reasons, humanitarian grounds or force majeure. You will otherwise be required to leave the country for a minimum of 6 months and reapply for a new Schengen visa.

It is possible to extend a Residence Permit. To do so you need to go to the aliens registration office (Ausländerbehörde) located in Wedding at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24 no less than 6 weeks before your visa is due to expire.

You will need to bring with you:

  • A visa application form
  • Your residency permit
  • Your passport
  • Two photographs (passport style)
  • Proof of income
  • Documents to support your stay – letter from your employee, letter from your university, proof of financial independence for non-working applicants.

This office is only open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, and it is strongly advisable to get an appointment.

The website also allows you to download the application for residency permits and the application, which is in four different languages, including English.

Your application will usually take between 1 – 2 weeks and will cost you €60 for 1 year (€30 for minors).