Berlin Visa Registration Guide

To register you need to go to the aliens registration office (Ausländerbehörde) located in Wedding at Friedrich-Krause-Ufer 24 German)

This office is only open on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, and it is strongly advisable to get an appointment (

The website allows you to download the application for residency permits ( The application is in four different languages, including English. In addition to your application form and depending on your status i.e. employee, job-seeker, self-employed, student, retired, you may also be required to produce one or more of the following documents:

  • Employees must produce proof of employment or offer or employment;
  • Persons setting up in a self-employed capacity must provide evidence of their status, such as membership of a professional or trade body, a VAT number or registration on a trade register;
  • Students must produce proof of their registration at university;
  • Service providers must produce supporting evidence;

Your application will usually take between 1 – 2 weeks and is issued free of charge. You will be provided with a temporary certificate while you wait. Certificates may be restricted to a time period, however this can be extended at a later point in time at the same location if your application is delayed.