Banking Options in Berlin
Given Germany’s history – most Germans are averse to debt. As a result, banking in Germany is safe, effective, and plentiful. All major German banks have branches throughout each suburb and provide online banking. ATMs are plentiful and easy to find as Berlin is a cash society – you will find it hard to use your credit card here.
Banking services include online transactions and bill payments, as well as extensive ATM transaction options. Many banks have attractive ATM no-fee withdrawal offers using other banks’ machines. International transfers are easy and relatively quick.
Banking hours in Berlin are generally as follows, although main branches of banks do not close for lunch:
- Mon, Tues, Wed and Fri 0830-1300 and 1430-1600
- Thurs 0830-1300 and 1430-1800
Some of the larger branches are also open on Saturday.
The major banks in Germany are as follows, and each bank has several locations in and around Berlin:
- Deutsche Bank http://www.db.com/
- Commerzbank https://www.commerzbank.com/
- Postbank http://www.postbank.com/
- Dresdnerbank http://www.dresdner-bank.com/
- Volksbank https://www.berliner-volksbank.de/
- Sparkasse http://www.sparkasse.de/
As for international banks, Citibank (http://www.citibank.de) is really the only one with a major presence.
In most banks there will be someone that speaks English to assist you in setting up your account and any other banking needs you may have.