Indian and international schools have differing calendars.
The Indian school calendar typically begins in May or June and ends in March, with Diwali, Dussera and Christmas holiday breaks in between.
International schools follow a western academic calendar, beginning in August through to June, with Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring breaks.
Though each international school’s calendar may vary slightly, a typical school calendar year for 2013-2014 is as follows:
- August 19: Classes Resume
- September 9: Ganesh Chaturthi School Holiday
- October 2: Gandhi Jayanti School Holiday
- October 10 – 14: Dasara Break
- October 31- November 11: Diwali Break
- December 13 – January 8, 2014: Winter Break
- January 26: Republic Day School Holiday
- February 14 – February 24: Mid-term Break
- April 11 – April 28: Spring Break
- May 1: May Day School Holiday
- June 6: End of Session
- August 18: Classes Resume for 2014/2015 School Year
Many international schools also offer various school trips throughout the year to destinations such as Ladakh and the Andaman islands.
There are also about ten public holidays during the school year for various festivals and holidays that apply to both Indian and international schools.