After School Activities Guide
Bangalore offers an array of innovative hobby classes for children, both organized by schools and specialty services. You can choose from dance classes like salsa, hip-hop and jazz to interests like calligraphy, foreign languages, storytelling, scripture-reading, sculpting and hardware assembling, among others.
- The Hindu (newspaper) publishes a supplement each Saturday called Young World, which shares programs and entertainment tips for kids in Bangalore.
- Time Out magazine also has a children’s section, part of which can also be viewed online: http://www.timeoutbengaluru.net/kids
- Another excellent resource is Parent Tree, an online forum with Bangalore-specific information and posts: http://www.parentree.in/info/Bangalore.html.
Places that conduct regular extra-curricular activities:
- Smriti Nandan Cultural Centre conducts weekend workshops for children, mainly on Saturdays. Activities include prayers, yoga, drama, craft, art, environmental awareness etc. http://www.smritinandan.org
- Universal Concept Mental Arithmetic System (UCMAS) in Vasanthnagar uses the Abacus to enhance memory power, concentration, listening skills, creativity, etc. Ages 5 to 12. http://www.ucmasuk.info/
- Abacus Brain Gym (multiple locations around Bangalore) develops learning skills using mental math. http://www.sipacademyindia.com/SummerCamp-For-Kids.htm
- Shambhavi School of Dance (Basaweshwaranagar) Conducts classes in Kuchipidi, Carnatic Music. http://www.schoolofkuchipudi.com/
- Shiamak Davar’s Institute for the Performing Arts (multiple locations around Bangalore) Offers jazz dancing, salsa, rock-n-roll, hip hip, Bollywood fusion. http://www.shiamak.com/
- Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan (Race Course Rd) offers classes in Carnatic music and dance for children and adults. http://www.bhavankarnataka.com/courses.php
- Body Language Dance School (Vasanth Nagar) conducts classes for children in ballet, rock and roll, jazz, disco, etc. [Phone: 9844020801]
Other places that children will enjoy visiting:
- Bal Bhavan: Is an imaginatively planned amusement park and recreation centre within the Cubbon Park. Here children can enjoy a ride on a toy train or visit the Doll’s Museum, which has an interesting collection of dolls and toys from all over the world. Craft and hobby classes for children are also conducted. http://www.jawaharbalbhavan.com/
- Crazy Waters (Bannergatta Main Road): Located amidst a rocky landscape, this Water Park ensures that children have a rollicking time in the pool and various water games. [Phone: 26584910]
- Fun World (JC Nagar): A 12-acre Disney Land-like amusement park, with various rides and games. http://www.grsfantasypark.com
- Wonder la (Mysore Road): Situated 30 kilometers out of Bangalore, Wonder la has many rides and plenty of fun and excitement for your kids. http://www.wonderla.com/
- Claytopia: A café-studio stocked with white ceramics, paints and brushes. Kids can make their own mug to paint too. They host interesting events regularly and have special group packages. [Phone: 41267163]