Shanghai citizens and expats alike certainly have a wide choice of furniture suppliers. It is very easy to decorate new apartments or villas with custom-made or off-the-shelf furniture. It is normal to purchase new furniture, since you can find Chinese outlets with rock-bottom prices. Turning your new living space into a home is not a difficult task in Shanghai.
Most of the stores mentioned below are able to offer you either unique furniture that is tailored to your taste or furniture that is quite common in Shanghai homes.
- Ancient & Modern Furniture & Design: 158 Xinle Lu, Xuhui, 5403 5268. This Taiwan store combines ancient Chinese carpentry with contemporary Asian style.
- Art Decotek: 868 Hongjing lu (near Yan An Xi lu), 62685137. Their vinyl wall stickers (¥600-¥2,900) will add some character to your plain walls.
- Bo Concept: 1160 Huaihai Zhong Lu, Xuhui, 6431 7702. Danish furniture at affordable prices.
- ET Furniture International. The company focuses on leather, upholstery fabric and home textiles. The store is located at Unit 12C, New Shanghai International Tower, 360 S. Pudong Rd.
- Gabbiani: Bund 18, Floor 2, 18 Zhongshan Dong Lu, Changning, 6329 9258. The owner is famed for his exquisite Venetian glass red chandeliers, which illuminate some of Shanghai’s swankiest hangouts, and his shop in Bund 18 offers Venetian glass home accents in vibrant colors and bulbous shapes.
- Hola Home Furnishing: Brilliance West Shopping Mall, 88 Xianxia Xi Lu, Changning, 5219 1919
- Homemart: 7388 Humin Lu, Xuhui, 6412 8169. Shanghai’s first (1998) DIY home inprovement retailer — government-owned.
- Hu & Hu Antiques: 8, Lane 1885, Caobao Lu, Changning. Great store. The owners have a loyal following of expats and ship quite a lot of antiques abroad.
- IKEA: 126 Caoxi Lu, Xuhui, 5425 6060; http://www.ikea.com.cn/. Crowded all the time, but with good reason: they have thousands of Western items at fairly low prices.
- Jingdezhen Porcelain Artware: 1175 Nanjing Xi Lu, Jing’an, 6253 0885
- Jiya Old Chinese Furniture Shop. The store has over 1,000 pieces and never hides the price. The owners pride themselves on not overcharging foreigners. This is the ideal place to find a traditional Chinese heavy wooden screen known as a pingfeng. Jiya is located at No 899 Huqingping Highway.
- Nest: International Artist Factory, Taikang Road Lane 210, Studio 201 (2F); craftsmanship you can trust.
- Pop Shanghai: Room 5018, Block 5, Bridge 8, 8 Jianguo Zhong Lu, Luwan, 5466 5108
- Shanghai Jun He Antique Furniture: 2F, No. 165 Yude Lu, Xujiahui Area Tel: 54247398. http://www.sh-antique.com.cn/. They offer cabinets, tables, chairs, trunks, beds, accessories and much more. They offer new furniture from their Pudong factory as well as antiques.
- Shimao Furniture Company: 369 Wuzhong Lu, Tel: 6406 8364; arguably the best value for furniture in Shanghai.
- Simply Life: Unit 101, 159 Madang Lu, Xintiandi, Luwan, 6387 5100
- Thomasville’s Shanghai Home Furnishings. The large store offers a full range of products. You can find familiar Western-style furnishings along with high-quality local favorites. The store is located at No. 1131 Huaihai Zhong Rd.
- YueXing Furniture Market: Reputable stores with excellent service. 1629 Wu Zhong Road, 3432 3980.