Fitness, Health & Beauty Centers
You must be VERY SELECTIVE in the gyms you choose. For example, the Weider-Tera Gym International groups of clubs are the largest in Shanghai, but their standards of cleanliness and hygiene leave much to be desired. In addition, they do not provide you with towels or cups for water.
Another widely-advertised chain of clubs is Will’s. However, be wary of going there. They have too many members and you must wait for lockers and machines after 6 pm on weekdays. You must provide your own locks and the trainers are actually too helpful.
However there are definitely great fitness clubs in Shanghai. The following are recommended for expats:
- One Wellness, 2/F Bldg C, 98 Yanping Lu, Jing An, near Xinzha Lu. Ph: 6267-1550. http://www.onewellness.com.cn. Great equipment connected to little computers. The building is fantastic with a great design: a wooden ceiling, a real oasis of relaxation, a yoga studio with outdoor classes in summer, a cafe and lounge area with large flat screen televisions, and a large sun deck. The place is reasonably priced and supposedly has a strictly limited membership.
- Oz Body Fit, 528 Kangding Lu, Jing An, near Xikang Lu. PH: 6288-5278. www.ozbodyfit.com. Specializing in Muay Thai for all levels and ages, Muay Thai boxing coach Tomer Oz’s Jing’an gym also offers yoga and women’s fitness class in a modern studio for men, women and kids. This is a great work out, real intense training and fitness. There is also a lovely beer bar across from his gym, and some tasty restaurants on the side with some great food.
- Clark Hatch Fitness Center, Century Metropolis Club House, 168 Hongqiao Lu, Xuhui, near Yishan Bei Lu. Ph: 6439-3301. One of the few gyms that opens early – 6:30 am! This gym’s philosophy is to offer members superior service and exciting programs run by experienced staff. These experienced professionals hope to infuse the lives of the gyms members with a holistic fitness philosophy to encourage members to enjoy a more fit, energetic and fun lifestyle.
- Health Club, Pudong Shangri-La, 33 Fu Cheng Lu, Pudong. Ph: 6882-8888 ext. 450/451. This hotel health club has a superb range of recreation and leisure facilities including two swimming pools and two fully-equipped gymnasiums. Enjoy a game of tennis under the stars or experience a massage at the Health Club. Additional facilities include sauna, steam bath and Jacuzzi.
- California Fitness, Infiniti Shopping Mall, 138 Huaihai Zhong Lu, Huaihai Zhong Lu, near Pu’an Lu. Ph: 4008-100-988. This is the gym started by Yao Ming, the most famous Chinese basketball player. The Shanghai store covers 3,600 sq. meters and features state of the art equipment, a spinning studio, Xpress Zone and Kick Fit as well as steam and sauna facilities. The gym also prides itself on its variety of classes including Hatha yoga, tai chi, body pump, “crazy belly fusion,” Latino flava, Chinese folk dance and more.
- Xpat Gym, 2000 Jianhe Lu, Gubei/Hongqiao, near Hongqiao Lu. Ph: 6261-8982. Members really like this club — Pilates, yoga, core, strength, balance, flexibility…they have it all. Never overcrowded; they are a boutique venue. Trainers are very helpful and classes are small.
We cannot recommend any of the other gyms for expats, because we do not have personal experience with them. The list below offers many other fitness facilities, however, understand that they may not be suited for the workouts habits or expectations of expats.
- Star Gym, 428 Jiangning Lu, http://www.stargym.com.cn
Phone: 6267 4524, 6271 7944
- Kerry Centre Gym, 1515 Nanjing Xi Lu, Shanghai Kerry Centre.
Phone: 6279 4625
- Lan Sheng Gym, 5/F, 8 Huaihai Zhong Lu.
Phone: 6386 2262
In general, Shanghai’s golf clubs are open to everyone: members, members’ guests and one-off visitors. Inquire directly at each club, via the number provided to find out the exact criteria to be fulfilled before being able to use the facilities of each club.
Some clubs are world-class and attract tournaments of the European and Asian PGA tours. The Tomson Golf Club (below) is one such course.
- Tomson Golf Club
1 Longdong Lu, Pudong, http://www.tomson-golf.com/clubE.html
Tel: 5855-5858 The course designer, Shunsuke Kato, who is also chairman of the Japan Golf Association, says he has, in his design of the course, combined the ancient, traditional and the modern characteristics of a golf club from Britain, United States and Japan. The Club has been highly praised by golfers of all calibers from around the world and was recently voted as being the best course in the Shanghai Area by the Hu Run Report.
- Shanghai Binhai Golf
Binhai, Nanhui, Pudong, http://www.binhaigolf.com/
Tel: 38001888. Designed by Peter Thompson, 36 Holes. Binhai Golf was opened in 2000 with master plan of 54 holes international championship golf courses. The current 36 holes makes Binhai a perfect golfing destination. It is a unique Scottish-links style layout featuring rolling terrain and deep bunkers. Strong winds blowing off the East China Sea add to the challenge. Arguably the best bang for your buck in Shanghai.
- Enhance Anting Golf Club
6555 Boyuan Road, Jiading District. Designed by Robert Trent Jones, PH: 6950 6555. Private club – part of the new Grand Hyatt development
- Grand Shanghai International Golf & Holiday Resort
Yangcheng Lake Holiday Zone, Kunshan, Jiangsu Province. Ph: 512 5789 1999. Located beside the famous hometown of the hairy crab and known for its beauty, Yangcheng Lake provides a scenic backdrop to this rolling resort style course featuring an abundance of water and sharp drop-offs. Greens are smooth as velvet and very fast. Won award for most characteristic fairways. Highly recommended.
- Shanghai West Golf Club
128 Huanzhen Xi Lu, http://www.shanghaiwest.com.cn/en/TheSWGC.asp
- Shanghai Links Golf and Country Club
1600 Lingbai Road, Pudong
- Shanghai International Golf and Country Club
Xinyang Cun, Zhujiajiao Zhen Qingpu District
- Sun Island Golf & Hot Springs Resort
2588 Shentai Road, Zhujiajiao Town, Qingpao District
- Shanghai Riviera Golf Resort
277 Yongzi Road, Nanxiang, Jiading Town
- Shanghai Tianma Golf & Country Club
3958 Songjiang Road, near Zhaokun Road
- Fuchun Resort
Hangfu, Yanjiang Road
- Shanghai Grand City Club
9988 Zhongchun Road, QiBao Town
- Hongqiao Golf and Rodin Garden Villa
567 Hongxu Road
- Shanghai Grasslands Golf Club
1386 Huqingping Highway
- Dong Zhen Golf and Country Club
1008 Huqigping Highway
- Shanghai East Asia Golf Club
135 Jianguo Road (W)
- Rise Golf Club
755 Huaihai Zhong lu, 21 D East Tower
Tel: 6431 8135
- Shanghai Lujiazui Golf Club
501 Yincheng Zhong Lu
Tel 6887 1200
Shanghai has excellent tennis facilities. However, some require that you be a member of a resort or some other organization.
- Pudong Tennis Center
9 Yushan Road (Yuansheng Stadium)
- Shanghai International Tennis Center
516 Hengshan Road (Regal Hotel)
Tel: 6415-5588 ext.82. Rates: Two indoor courts: 150 RMB per hour if it is reserved by the mentor or 300 RMB per hour for hotel guests. Outdoor courts: 60 RMB per hour. At spring and autumn, it is wonderful to play tennis in the outdoor courts – it is in the Xujiahui area, with many trees, flowers and nice villa nearby, which make it one of the most expensive area to live in Shanghai. Reservation in advance is required since many people go there.
- Shanghai Jiabao Tennis Club
118 Xincheng Road
Jiading Sports Center
- Shanghai Racquet Club
Lane 555 Jinfeng Road, Huacao Town, Minhang District, http://www.src.com.cn/
Tel: 22010088. This is arguably the best tennis facility in Shanghai. The club is part of a first-class resort.
- Shanghai Xian Xia Tennis Center
1885 Hongqiao Lu
Tel: 6261 5984
The pools listed below are suitable for expats and their families. The first 6 listed are especially clean and have very good locker room facilities – English staff should be present at these first six pools.
- New World Mayfair Hotel Outdoor Pool, 1555 Ding Xi Lu (ChangNing District). Phone: 6240 8888. Price: Adults-¥128/day, Children-¥100/day *Sauna and gym included. Pool Info: 25 m x 8 m; 1.5 m deep. Time: 8 am-9 pm daily
- Shanghai Purple Mountain Hotel Garden Rooftop Pool, 778 Dongfang Lu. Phone: 6886 8888. Price: ¥80/day. Pool Info: Adult pool: 1.5 m deep, Kiddie pool: 0.8m deep. Time: 7 am-10 pm daily
- Le Meridien She Shan, 1288 Linyin Xin Lu, She Shan. Phone: 5779 9999. Price: ¥200 /day Mon-Fri, ¥300 /day Sat-Sun and public holidays, *Full access to sauna, Jacuzzi, steam room, indoor pool, and beach. Pool Info: 15 m wide. Time: 8 am-6 pm daily.
- Portman Ritz-Carlton, 1376 Nanjing Xi Lu, Phone: 6279 8600. Price: Use of pool only for members, residents of the Shanghai Center or hotel guests; Full membership: ¥18,000/yr plus ¥2,000 one-time registration fee. Use of facilities from 6 am-midnight daily. Off-peak membership: ¥11,000 plus ¥1,500 one-time registration fee. Use of facilities from 8 am-4 pm daily. *Gym, sauna, Jacuzzi, steam room, use of indoor pool and all fitness classes (adult and children’s swimming classes) included. Pool Info: 20 m x 18 m. Time: 8 am-11 pm daily
- Shanghai Racquet Club Outdoor Swimming Pool, Lane 555 Jinfeng Lu (HuaCao Town). Phone: 2201 0886. Price: Membership fee – ¥35,000/yr. Lifetime membership fee – ¥80,000 one-time fee – *Membership includes whole family. Pool Info: 25 m x 10 m; 1.1 m-1.4 m deep. Time: 7 am-7 pm daily
- Ambassy Club Swimming Pool, 1500 Huaihai Zhong Lu. Phone: 6437 9800. Price: Individual membership fee – ¥8,888/yr. Family membership fee – ¥12,888/yr — *Full access to all facilities upon joining. Pool Info: 25 m x 15 m. Time: Mon-Fri: 6 am-9 pm — Sat-Sun: 8 am-9 pm.
- Changning Swimming Pool
1041 Yuyuan Road
- Jiangwan Wave Pool
346 Guohe Lu
Tel: 6548 1789
- Mandarin City Pool
788 Hongxu Lu
- Pudong Swimming Pool
3369 Pudong Road (S)
Tel: 5889-0101. Costs 25 RMB for 90 minutes on a weekday.
- Shanghai Swimming Pool
1300 Zhongshan Road (S)
- Shanghai Star Sports
428 Jiangning Road
- Kerry Centre Health Club
1515 Nanjing Road (W)
- Shanghai International Football League: http://www.eteamz.com/.This is a very competitive amateur group of teams that Shanghai expats seem to enjoy. Call Daniel Berger at 13901625460 for more information or go to their website and click on “teams.”
- ASAS Super Seven: http://www.asas.com.cn. Amateur football 7 league with two divisions. Many of the players are foreigners.
- Active Kidz Shanghai: http://www.activekidz.org. This is an organization for kids to learn football/soccer, baseball, and other expat sports. Registration office located at: Nice Year Villas, AKS Office, Building A1-0, 3333 HongMei Road (HuaGuang Road), HongQiao Shanghai 201103. Ph: (86-21) 64066757 Fax: (86-21) 54224594 Email: email@example.com. Office registration hours: Wed – Fri 9-5:30 pm / Lunch break 12-1 pm.
- Daoshun Archery
No.6, Lane 628, Zhangyang Lu, http://www.daoshun.net/
- Shanghai Badminton Club
Huashida’s Badminton Facility
3663 Zhongshan Road (W)
LL Badminton Club
- Gang of Basketball Fans
7-9pm every Thursday in Dynamic Recreation Club
These groups welcome locals and expats alike.
- Motorbike Shanghai
Meets 9 am Sundays in good weather.
- Wolf’s Mountain Bike Club
- Shanghai Bike Club
Suite 2308 , Building 2
2918 North Zhongshan Road
Tel: 021- 5266 – 9013
Fax: 021- 5266 – 9016
Mobile : 139 – 1875 – 3119
Contact: Eril Zhang
- Orden Bowling Centre
10 Hengshan Road
- Sakura Bowling Alley
580 Jiangning Road
- Tong Ling Bowling Alley
Bo. 15 Lane 123 Caoxi Road
- Shanghai Kickboxing Club
4/F, Block A, 66 Cao Bao Road
- Shanghai Xialong Boxing Club
2, 666 Tianyaoqiao Lu
- Indoor Cricket
Room 106, 1634 Central Huaihai Road
Tel: 6431-1988 ext. 106
- Shanghai Amateur Fencing Club
Meets 6-9pm Tuesday and Thursday
Ling Ling Middle School
451 Dong An Lu near Zhongshan Nan Lu
- Shanghai Jianfeng Fencing Club
451 Donan Lu
Ling Ling Middle School
- Shanghai Power Fencing Club
456 Xietu Lu
The Spa at The Hilton
4F Jing’an Hilton
250 Huashan Road
Tel: 6248-0000 ext. 2600
Horse Riding/Equestrian Sports
- Shanghau HuiHuang Horse Riding Club
517 Xinhua Road
SanLin Town, Pudong
- Shanghai Equestrian Course
328 Lianming Road
Xujing Zhen, Qingpu County
- Meadowbrook Equestion and Rural Activity Center
3088 Shenzhuan Lu
Tel: 6983 0022
- Shanghai Zoo (Rollerblading/Skateboarding Ring)
2831 Hongqiao Road
- SMP Skatepark
2100 Songhu Luby
near Fudan University
Daily 1 pm – 5 pm
- New Generation Skating Palace
30 Jiangsu Bei Lu
Tel: 6251 3410
- Pudong Children’s Palace
318 Yingchun Lu
North of Century Prk
Tel: 5033 2080
- Authentic Chinese Martial Arts
Rm 311, No.3, Lane 210 Tai Kang Road
Tel: 13701685893 (Mr. Zhang)
- Jeet Kune Do/Mixed Martial Arts Classes
258 Tongren Road
- Jingwu Wu Shu Centre
618 Xujiahui Road
Wednesdays, 6:30 – 8:30pm
- LongWu International Kung Fu Centre
1 Maoming Nan Lu
- Shanghai Wushu Center
595 Nanjing Xi Lu
Tel: 6215 3599
- Mingwu International KungFu Club
3/F 359 Hongzhong Lu
Tel: 6465 9806
- Shanghai Martial Arts Center
595 Nanjing Xi Lu
Tel: 6215 3599
- Aikido Shinju-Kai
no 2, Lane 591, Nanjing Xi Lu
Tel: 1391 7073111
- Mingwu International KungFu Club
3/F 359 Hongzhong Lu
Tel: 6365 9806
- Weicheng Paintball Shooting Centre
388 Chenhua Highway
- Planet Laser Tag
4/F 4th stand Hongkou Football Stadium, http://www.plasertag.com
444 Dongjiangwan Lu
Tel: 5560 0658
- Masterhand Climbing Club
No. 21 Stand
Hongkou Football Stadium
444 Dongjiangwan Lu
Tel: 5696 6657
- Shanghai Snowboard Club
Hokkaido Indoor Snow Slope
1835 Qixing Road
- Dynamic Recreation Club
1011 Zhongshan Xi Lu
- Hatha Yoga
1st floor , 650 Wanping Nan Lu, http://www.cnyoga.com/