Shanghai is high-tech! With LCD display screens on virtually every street corner as well as talking to you in every taxi, plus, hidden speakers blasting out music in the parks, it’s clear that the city has fully embraced the world of technology.
All Chinese brands, from mobile phones to refrigerators to clothes washers, will be priced much lower than imported brands – half price, at least. However, be wary of the warranty period and conditions.
There is room for bargaining, and, if you have a Chinese credit card, you can sign up for some great monthly price plans. Always check whether your DVD player or TV is multi-regional, so it will still work if you ever decide to take it back to your home country. Be very, very careful with counterfeit products.
The stores below all have some English-speaking staff and should remain open until 10 pm each night.
- Carrefour: 268 Shuicheng Road (S), Gubei. Tel: 6209 8899. 6 branches. Carrefour has a wide selection of appliances and electronics. Irons, kettles and other smaller items can also be purchased for around 150 RMB.
- Gome: Changning; 5239 5962. Gome has about 20 locations in Shanghai. You will find the Chinese brands in these stores – lower prices, but sometimes also lower quality. Website: http://www.gome.com.cn. Open Mon-Fri 9 am-9 pm, Sat-Sun 9 am-9:30 pm.
- Homemart: 5648-8222. This is the Chinese equivalent to Home Depot. It is a do-it-yourself home appliances and fixtures store. Website: http://www.homemart.com. Open 9 am-8 pm.
- Metro City: 1111 Zhaojiabang Lu near Caoxi Bei Lu, Xuhui; 6426 8393. This is actually a mall of electronic stores. Whatever you need, they have. Small stores and counters are densely packed over several floors, offering computers, cameras, games systems, home entertainment systems, mobile phones, electrical appliances and all related accessories. You’ll find all the brands imaginable under one roof.
- Metro Stores: 80 Gudai Road, Tel: 6480 8888; (4 branches). Carries appliances and electronics. Website: http://www.metro.com.cn
- Modern City Electronics: Xiang Yang Lu at Fu Xing Xi Lu, Xuhui. If you’re interested in trading your electronics, or you want cheap or second-hand goods, try Modern Electronics City. You run the risk of purchasing stolen or faulty goods, but you’ll be paying a fraction of the price. They have everything from electric fans, refrigerators and shower heads, to speakers, portable DVD players, PSBs, memory sticks and cards.
- Pacific Digital Plaza: Xuhui; 5490 5900. Located in a comprehensive entertainment complex, this three-story digital mall offers a massive selection of international and domestic branded computers, accessories, computer games, mp3 players and much more. Some of the salesmen speak fluent English. No Website. Open 10 am-8 pm.
- Studio FH: Jing’an; 6252 0082. A shopping destination for music lovers and hi-fi enthusiasts, this store sells hi-fi and AV equipment. Website: http://www.studio-fh.com. Open Mon-Fri 9:30 am-6 pm.