Expat Nightclubs and Bars
One of the best ways for an expat to learn about the liveliest night spots on Shanghai is to join Shanghai Stuff: http://www.shanghaistuff.com. Another good site to know about the latest news about the Shanghai night scene is http://www.smartshanghai.com. Keep in mind that clubs and bars can be born and die in a few months or even weeks. We have tried to offer you an updated list of trendy places, but check any of these websites to get information about the changes.
Shanghai has a vibrant nightlife catering to every palate and budget from students to business executives. Live music, fine dining, dancing, cocktail lounges and sports bars can be found all over the city. Xintiandi, the French Concession and the Bund are the three areas of the city which have the highest concentration of night spots that cater to predominantly expat tastes.
All of the clubs listed below actively cater to expats and visitors to the city. They will have foreign DJs and the conditions are normally very safe. Taxis will be waiting when you exit.
- Babyrichy: No. 101, Infinity Plaza, 138 Huaihai Lu, near Pu'an Lu, 6375 6667. One of the most popular clubs among locals, with two separate areas: one with hip hop and other with techno and house.
- Bar Rouge: 7/F, Bund 18, 18 Zhongshan Dong Yi Lu, near Nanjing Dong Lu, 6339 1199.
- Club G Plus: 5/F, Xintiandi South Block, Lane 123 Xingye Lu, near Madang Lu, 5386 8088. Nice sound system and popular among locals and expats alike.
- Dragon Club: 156 Fenyang Lu, near Taojiang Lu, 6433 2187. If you finish your night in this local, you will find out that an after hours is the same in any area of the world: la crème de la crème.
- Glamour Bar: 6/F, Five on the Bund, 20 Guangdong Lu, near Zhongshan Dong Yi Lu, 6329 3751. Shanghai's most sophisticated cocktail lounge with a distinct 1930s ambiance.
- Guandi & 4K: Inside Fuxing Park, 2 Gaolan Lu, near Sinan Lu, 5383 6020. Many Chinese celebrities go here.
- KABB: Xintiandi North Block, Lane 181 Taicang Lu, near Madang Lu, 3307 0798. It's a great vantage point for watching the chic street crowd in Xintiandi.
- Lola: Bldg 4, 570 Yongjia Lu, near Yueyang Lu.
- Lounge 18: 4/F, Bund 18, 18 Zhongshan Dong Yi Lu, near Nanjing Dong Lu, 6323 8399.
- MAO: 46 Yueyang Lu, near Dongping Lu, 139 0186 8258. One of the favorite spots for expats, especially in the Italian and Spanish community. Electro, tech…