Expat Nightclubs and Bars
One of the best ways for an expat to learn about the liveliest night spots on Shanghai is to join Shanghai Stuff: http://www.shanghaistuff.com. Another good site to know about the latest news about the Shanghai night scene is http://www.smartshanghai.com. Keep in mind that clubs and bars can be born and die in a few months or even weeks. We have tried to offer you an updated list of trendy places, but check any of these websites to get information about the changes.
Shanghai has a vibrant nightlife catering to every palate and budget from students to business executives. Live music, fine dining, dancing, cocktail lounges and sports bars can be found all over the city. Xintiandi, the French Concession and the Bund are the three areas of the city which have the highest concentration of night spots that cater to predominantly expat tastes.
All of the clubs listed below actively cater to expats and visitors to the city. They will have foreign DJs and the conditions are normally very safe. Taxis will be waiting when you exit.
- Babyrichy: No. 101, Infinity Plaza, 138 Huaihai Lu, near Pu’an Lu, 6375 6667. One of the most popular clubs among locals, with two separate areas: one with hip hop and other with techno and house.
- Bar Rouge: 7/F, Bund 18, 18 Zhongshan Dong Yi Lu, near Nanjing Dong Lu, 6339 1199.
- Club G Plus: 5/F, Xintiandi South Block, Lane 123 Xingye Lu, near Madang Lu, 5386 8088. Nice sound system and popular among locals and expats alike.
- Dragon Club: 156 Fenyang Lu, near Taojiang Lu, 6433 2187. If you finish your night in this local, you will find out that an after hours is the same in any area of the world: la crème de la crème.
- Glamour Bar: 6/F, Five on the Bund, 20 Guangdong Lu, near Zhongshan Dong Yi Lu, 6329 3751. Shanghai’s most sophisticated cocktail lounge with a distinct 1930s ambiance.
- Guandi & 4K: Inside Fuxing Park, 2 Gaolan Lu, near Sinan Lu, 5383 6020. Many Chinese celebrities go here.
- KABB: Xintiandi North Block, Lane 181 Taicang Lu, near Madang Lu, 3307 0798. It’s a great vantage point for watching the chic street crowd in Xintiandi.
- Lola: Bldg 4, 570 Yongjia Lu, near Yueyang Lu.
- Lounge 18: 4/F, Bund 18, 18 Zhongshan Dong Yi Lu, near Nanjing Dong Lu, 6323 8399.
- MAO: 46 Yueyang Lu, near Dongping Lu, 139 0186 8258. One of the favorite spots for expats, especially in the Italian and Spanish community. Electro, techno and house.
- M2: 4/F, 283 Huai Hai Zhong Lu, near Huangpi Nan Lu, 6288 6222.
- Muse: 2/F, The New Factories, 68 Yuyao Lu, near Xikang Lu, 5213 5228. Two floors with different music in this classic of Shanghai nights.
- Muse at Park 97: 2A Gaolan Lu, Fuxing Park, 5383 2328.
- No.88: 2/F, A Mansion, 291 Fumin Lu, near Donghu Lu, 6136 0288. The place deserves a visit only to admire the kitsch decoration. One of the most “truly Chinese” clubs in Shanghai.
- The Shelter: Basement of 5 Yongfu Lu, near Fuxing Xi Lu. This club, placed in a former bomb shelter, has become quickly one reference point for independent electronic music and live shows of diverse musical styles.
- Tara 57: 2/F, 57 Fuxing Xi Lu, near Yongfu Lu, 6431 7027.
- TMSK: North Block Xintiandi, Lane 181 Taicang Lu, near Madang Lu, 6326 2227. It has a dazzling glass bar and a truly awesome cocktail list.
- Velvet Lounge: 1/F, 913 Julu Lu, near Changshu Lu, 5403 2976. This is a favorite late-night lounge for expats and locals alike with curtained enclaves, a DJ, dance floor and great thin-crust gourmet pizzas.
- Zapata’s: 5 Hengshan Lu, near Dongping Lu, 6433 4104.
The clubs listed below are more sedate and most offer food with the drinks.
- 789 Bar and Lounge (inside the Royal Meridien Hotekl)
64, 65 and 66/F, 789 Nanjing Dong Lu,
Nanjing Dong Lu
near Jiujiang Lu and Guizhou Lu
inside People’s Park, 231 Nanjing Xi Lu,
near Huangpi Nan Lu, Metro Line 1, 2, 8 People’s Square Station
- Blue Frog Bar
207-6 Maoming Nan Lu,
near Yongjia Lu
- Cotton’s Bar
132 Anting Lu,
near Jianguo Xi Lu
- Jade on 36 Bar (inside the Pudong Shangri-La hotel)
36/F, Pudong Shangri-La, 33 Fucheng Lu, Pudong
near Lujia Xi Lu, Metro Line 2 Lujiazui Station
- JZ Club
46 Fuxing Lu, near Yongfu Lu
Tel: 6431 0269
- O’Malley’s Iris Pub
42 Taojiang Lu, near Wulumuqi Lu
Tel: 6474 4533
Sources to find updates on night activities, city events, and meetings
- City Moments: http://www.citymoments.cn/
- Smart Shanghai: http://www.smartshanghai.com/
- City Weekend: http://www.cityweekend.com.cn/shanghai/
- Shanghai Expat: http://www.shanghaiexpat.com/
- The Shanghaiist: http://shanghaiist.com/
Another good source for the latest goings on in Shanghai is Facebook. Look up any one of the dozens of Shanghai networks.
Late Night Cafes in Shanghai
- 1931 Cafe Pub
Passage into the Past
112 MaoMing South Road Shanghai 200020
T: +86 21 6472 5264
- Always Cafe
1863 HuaiHai Zhong Road, Pu Xi District Shanghai
T: +86 21 6247 8333
- Bon Ami Cafe
Comfortable Downtown Cafe
380 XingGuo Lu Shanghai 200052
T: +86 21 6280 8399
- Citizen Cafe
Classy Café Hangout
T: +86 21 6258 1620
Hong Kong’s Popular Cafe in Shanghai
381 HuaHai Zhong Lu Shanghai
T: +86 21 5382 5171
- Denny Cafe
Escaping Shopping Exhaustion
1 Hongqiao Road, Unit 156 Shanghai 200030
T: +86 21 6407 0047
- Espresso Americano
1376 Nanjing Xi Lu Road Shanghai 200040
T: +86 21 6279 8888
- Gino’s Cafe
Pizzas and More
918 Huai Hai Zhong Lu Shanghai
T: +86 21 6415 5245
- Grand Cafe
Grand Views Round The Clock
Jin Mao Tower, 88 Century Boulevard, Shanghai 200120
T: +86 21 5049 1234 / F: +86 21 5049 1111
- Huxinting Chashi
Tea Fit for a Queen
257 Yuyuan Lu Shanghai 200000
T: +86 21 6373 6950
- Keven Cafe
Cost of Comfort
525 HengShan Road Shanghai 200030
T: +86 21 6433 5564
Coffee and Asian Treats
85 HuaTing Lu Shanghai
T: +86 21 5404 0608
Little Paris Beneath The Opera
300 People Boulevard Shanghai 200003
T: +86 21 6327 4462 / F: +86 21 6372 0411
- Melrose Pizza
Late Night Pizza
838 HengShan Road Shanghai 200030
T: +86 21 6445 8318
- Old China Hand Reading Room
Old China in Style
ShaoXing Lu 27 Shanghai
T: +86 21 6473 2526
- Qing Yi Cafe
For its Art and Coffee
175 Maoming Nan Lu Shanghai 200020
T: +86 21 6437 7719
- Sole Coffee
Or is That Soul Coffee?
4 HengShan Lu Shanghai 200041
T: +86 21 6473 1374
T: +86 21 5404 7770
- Windows Café & Pub
Made of Glass
1333 NanJing Xi Road Shanghai 200040
T: +86 21 6247 6468
- Yuan Yuan Yuan
Tea and Fun
880 HengShan Road Shanghai 200030
T: +86 21 6407 0441
- Zi Yan Kafe Guan
Shanghainese Coffee Bar
80 YanDang Road Shanghai 210003
T: +86 21 6359 1176