While parks in Paris are ideal locations for walking dogs, they are not welcome everywhere. Parks will have signs indicating if dogs are permitted and where they are allowed to go. They are never allowed in the children’s play areas and are sometimes restricted to the gravel walkways on the perimeters of the parks. Often they are not allowed on the grass. Look for a picture of a dog’s head with a red circle and slash through it which indicates that dogs are not welcome…they are unmistakable and clearly posted. Dogs are always, legally, required to be on a leash. In the bigger parks, however, and especially Bois du Boulogne and Bois du Vincennes, this rule is fairly lenient. A few others that are especially dog-friendly are:
- Champs-de-Mars in the 7th arrondissement, in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower
- Place de la Republlique in the 11th
- Parc de Bercy in the 12th
- L’Ile aux Cygnes in the 15th, which is actually a pedestrian walkway in the middle of the Seine
- Jardins de Ranelagh in the 16th
- Jardins de l’avenue Foch in the 16th
- Miaou Waou, http://www.miaouwaou.com 2 boutiques in Paris, plus an online catalogue and home delivery.
- Animalis, http://www.animalis.fr This is a chain of over 30 boutiques throughout France, but only 1 in Paris at Bercy. There are a few in the near suburbs, so contact the website for the location nearest you. They have a wide selection of food, toys and accessories that you can order online and have delivered.
- BHV La niche, http://www.bhv.fr/magasins/bhv-la-niche, 42 rue de la verrerie, 75004, 09.77.40.14.00. The pet shop of BHV located just around the corner.
Beauty is just as important for Parisian pets as it if for their owners. Many stores have grooming and spa, yes spa, facilities on the premises.
- Chats Comme Chiens ( http://www.chatscommechiens.com ), 72, rue Saint Charles 75015, 01.45.77.05.07, Animal Beauty parlor and spa with an impressive display of health products, fashion items, clothes and accessories.
- Waaf & Miaou, 14 Avenue de l’Opera 75001, 01.42.60.02.26, http://www.waaf-miaou.com Fun accessory store with friendly English-speaking staff.
- Dog Recre, 116, avenue du Général Michel Bizot 75012 01.43.44.32.64, http://www.dogrecre.fr Everything for your dog from accessories, to grooming to daycare.
Doggy Daycare and Boarding
- La Tuilerie, St Hilliers-Provins, 01.64.00.15.45, http://www.la-tuilerie.fr A full-service kennel 40 kilometers (they can provide transport) from Paris for your long vacations. Friendly and English-speaking service.
- City Canine, 71 rue Balard 75015, 01.45.57.47.06, Doggy daycare, kennel and grooming services in Paris.
- Animado, 62 rue Louis Blanc 75010, 03 44 74 55 58, http://www.animado.comFriendly service provides either home stays or house visits for your pets while you are away.
- DogWalking, 10, rue des Coutures, 92310 Sevres, 06.09.20.33.76 or 06.20.46.27.03, http://www.dogwalking.fr provides kennel service and dog walking in either your neighborhood or nearby forests.
- Craiglist and FUSAC are good resources to find dog walkers and pet-sitters, as well: http://www.craigslist.fr and/or http://www.fusac.com
Also, check with your local veterinarian who may have recommendations for boarding, dog-walkers or pet-sitters; in addition, some vets provide bulletin boards where these services are advertised.
Identification and Registration
Identification and registration by tattoo or microchip is compulsory in most instances for cats, dogs and ferrets in France. Your local veterinian will be able to assist you for a nominal fee.
- All dogs entering France from within or out side of the EU of it must be identified by tattoo or microchip
- All dogs in départements declared as having rabies must be identified (consult your vet)
- All dogs being bought or sold must be identified
- Note: The only exemption is in the case of a dog born before 6 January 1999 that has remained in France all its life with the same owner.
- All cats entering France from within or out side of the EU of it must be identified by tattoo or microchip
- All cats in départements declared as having rabies must be identified (consult your vet)
- All cats being bought or sold must be identified (kittens can be sold under the registration number of their mother)
- All ferrets entering France from within or out side of the EU of it must be identified by tattoo or microchip
- All ferrets in départements declared as having rabies must be identified (consult your vet)