- Get a full pension forecast from gov.uk, or contact the International Pensions Centre on 0191 218 7777.
- Research the cost of living in your host country and ensure that you have sufficient funds to support life there over a long period of time.
- Ensure you have sufficient funds in your bank account to withstand any currency fluctuations.
- See an independent financial advisor in order to understand the process for drawing your pension overseas and managing any currency risks.
- Ensure you understand how a move overseas will impact your social security entitlements. See our free guide to the UK social security system and living abroad.
- Inform the Department for Work and Pensions that you are moving overseas and provide them with contact details.
- Check your social security entitlements and any costs of healthcare in your host country. Ensure that you will have adequate healthcare provision in place. If necessary, arrange private healthcare coverage.
- Inform your bank and building society that you will be moving abroad.
Checklist for British Expatriates Retiring Abroad
Have a comment?
Do you have a comment about this article, a further question or even a correction? If so please do let us know. We may edit your comments and cannot guarantee that all comments will be published, please be nice!
Our Expat’s Manual is updated regularly so comments about the article may have already been addressed.