Many local teenagers are hired by parents for babysitting children for short periods of time such as evenings or weekend afternoons. Ask your neighbors for recommendations. If you are seeking daytime childcare, there are several companies which have nannies for hire for in-home babysitting and childcare:
- In A Pinch: http://www.inapinch.ca – A babysitting/guardian service that charges around $16 per hour, with a minimum of four hours.
- Toronto Maid and Daycare Services: – Babysitting charges sit at the $16 range. The 4 hour minimum is also applicable.
- Canadian Sitter – This service is a database that puts you in touch with sitters in your area. It’s a bit different from the others in that there is a fee of $40 for 3 months or $80 for a year’s worth of membership to the service.
You can also try the popular classifieds online:
- Craigslist, http://craigslist.ca
- Kijiji network, http://kijiji.ca
Parents can expect to pay at least $10 per hour for babysitting service in Toronto, with a high end rate of up to $25 for agencies/babysitters in high demand.
Tipping is always appreciated in the babysitting industry.