Specialized Groceries Guide
Sydney is a multicultural city and you can find hundreds of specialty supermarkets for nearly as many different cultures. Chain supermarkets also stock many specialised foods including Kosher, Asian and organic.
Delicatessens are found in all shopping hubs. They normally stock a wide range of good quality cheeses, cold meats, antipasto foods like dips and olives, and breads. You can find a wide selection of imported Mediterranean foods in most delicatessens.
You can’t beat Leichardt or Haberfield areas for Italian food as these two suburbs are almost entirely Italian!!!
On Ramsay Street, Haberfield
- Pasticceria Papa (no. 145) for a coffee, paninni, or its celebrated ricotta cake.
- Frank’s Fruit Shop (no. 94) stock giant pink salad onions in summer, and greens such as cime di rapa in cooler months.
- Fresh cheeses at Paesanella (no. 88).
- La Pasteria (no. 171), or at Peppe’s Pasta (no. 151), which do the basics as well as fancy ravioli such as duck, prosciutto and caramelised onion.
There are independent Asian supermarkets all over Sydney. They normally stock food and items from a whole range of Asian cultures including China, Japan, Indonesia, Korean and Malaysia. Chinatown has the biggest range of Asian food and items. It is fairly easy to find fresh Asian vegetables anywhere in Sydney at typical grocers and supermarkets.
Best Japanese Grocers in Sydney:
- My Mart (02) 9251 8732 Level 2, 10 Bulletin Place, Sydney, 2000
- Usagi-Ya (02) 9369 3121 1/314 Oxford Street, Bondi Junction, 2002
- Tokyo Mart (02) 9958 6860 83 Sailors Bay Road, Northbridge, 2063
- Anegawa Trading Co Grocers (02) 9417 5452 16A Deepwater Road, Castle Cove, 2069
- Anegawa Trading Co Grocers (02) 9904 4177 7 Waters Rd, Neutral Bay, 2089
- KF Mart (02) 9976 3340 Shop3, 43 East Esplanade, Manly, 2095
Torres Cellars & Delicatessen carries paella pans and gas rings, groceries, Spanish wines, and jamon. Liverpool St. Sydney NSW 2000. (02) 9264 6862
La Gerbe d’Or, 255 Glenmore Road, Paddington NSW 2021, Tel.: 02 9331 1070
- Stanley Street Butcher, St Ives. Best biltong in Sydney. http://www.stanleystreetbutchery.com.au
- Bianca’s Deli, Old South Head Road, Rosebay, Eastern Suburbs. http://www.biancasdeli.com.au
A limited amount of American groceries are available in the chain supermarkets. For a larger range, USA Foods Australia is an online store operating from Melbourne that specialises purely in American groceries. Mexican foods are stocked in every chain store.
USA Foods Australia http://www.usafoods.com.au
There are many British groceries sold in chain supermarkets. Treats From Home and British Treats and Sweets are two stores in Sydney which sell British sweets and chocolates, as well as British gourmet foods.
- British Sweets and Treats, Shop 6 Bronka Arcade 157-165 Oxford Street, Bondi Junction Tel: (02) 8094 9921 http://www.britishsweets.com.au
- Treats From Home, Shops 5R01-02, Glasshouse Shopping Centre, 150 Pitt Street Mall, Corner of King and Pt Streets, Sydney, NSW 2000 Tel: (02) 9231 6566http://www.treatsfromhome.com.au
One of Sydney’s best food halls is the David Jones Food Hall located under the David Jones on Market Street in the CBD. You will find many English, American, European and Asian food items.