Sydney is a religiously diverse city and tolerance of religious difference is practiced. According to the last Australian census, the major belief systems in Sydney are Catholic (25.8%), Anglican (18.7%), No Religion (18.7%), Eastern Orthodox (2.7%), and Islam (1.7%). But there really are dozens if not hundreds of different religious practices and places of worship in Sydney. Other major beliefs in Sydney include Buddhism and Judaism. Below is a list of major religions in Sydney and a sample of places of worship. Information on services can be found on their websites.
- Catholic Archdiocese Sydney http://www.sydney.catholic.org.au Lists all the different parishes available in Sydney.
- St Mary’s Cathedral, St Marys Rd, Sydney (City) http://www.stmaryscathedral.org.au
- St Patrick’s, The Rocks, Sydney City http://www.stpatschurchhill.org Beautiful sandstone church in the middle of the city.
- Sydney Anglican Network http://www.sydneyanglicans.net
- St Andrews Cathedral, 483 George St, Sydney (City) http://www.cathedral.sydney.anglican.asn.au
- Church By The Bridge, Very popular with young couples and families, plus located right under the Harbor Bridge. http://www.cbtb.org.au
- Islamic Council of NSW http://www.icnsw.org.au
- Auburn Gallipoli Mosque, 15-19 North Parade Auburn (West) http://www.gallipolimosque.org.au
- Buddhist Council of NSW http://www.buddhistcouncil.org
- Amitabha Buddhist Association of New South Wales, 82 Restwell Street, Bankstown (West) http://www.amtb.org.tw