Sports feature heavily in the Australian lifestyle. It has a lot to do with the weather which is very nice for most of the year. Popular sports include football, swimming, cricket, and jogging. Many Australians also take an interest in golf, tennis, netball, yoga, and the gym.
There are many fitness centers in Sydney. Fitness First is the largest chain and there are numerous independently-run centers as well. Police Community clubs also run fitness centers and programs. Prices vary but expect to pay around $65 a month for membership.
- Fitness First http://www.fitnessfirst.com.au
Golf is a popular sport is Sydney and there are many clubs in Sydney. Some more exclusive than others. Moore Park Golf Club has a great driving range if you just want to hit some balls after work, as well as friendly staff. It’s also close to the city.
- Moore Park Golf Club (City Edge) http://www.mooreparkgolf.com.au
- Manly Golf Club (Northern Beaches) http://www.manlygolf.com.au
- Kogarah Golf Club (South) http://www.kogarahgolfclub.com.au
- The Royal Sydney Golf Club (Eastern Suburbs) http://www.rsgc.com.au
There are public tennis courts in most areas in Sydney. It’s usually around $20 to hire a court. Check your local council’s website for courts in your area.
- Moore Park Tennis http://www.mooretennis.com
- City of Sydney Public Tennis Courts http://cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/Residents/TennisCourts/Default.asp
Swimming is a major part of the Australian lifestyle. There are many beaches and pools to swim in around Sydney. If you don’t know how to swim it is recommended you learn. Surfing is also extremely popular.
You can swim at the beach either in the surf or in a ocean tidal pool. There are also council run public swimming pools both indoor and heated or outdoor and you will also find many fitness clubs have pools. Check your local council’s website for public pools in your area. Public pools normally cost around $4.00 for entry.
- Cook and Phillip Pool, indoors, chlorinated and located in the city http://www.cookandphillip.org.au
- Boy Charlton Pool, outdoors, chlorinated and located on the Sydney Harbour http://www.abcpool.org
- Victoria Park Pool, outdoors, chlorinated and located next to Sydney Uni http://cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/residents/swimmingpools/VictoriaParkPool.asp
- Wylies Baths, ocean tidal pool, Coogee http://www.wylies.com.au
Yoga centers are everywhere. The quality of the classes varies greatly so you may need to try a few places before you find one you like. Classes are around $18. Popular yoga styles offered include Iyengar, Bikram, and general Hatha.
- Centennial Yoga Studio, Randwick (Eastern Suburbs). For serious Iyengar yoga practice http://www.centennialyoga.com.au/
- Yoga By The Sea, Bondi (Eastern Suburbs). Outdoor classes by the sea. http://www.yogabythesea.com.au
- Concord Hatha Yoga and CalmBirth Studio, Concord (Inner West) Pregnancy and children classes http://www.concordyoga.com
- Australian Yoga Directory http://www.findyoga.com.au
There are four types of football played in Australia. These are Australian Rules, Rugby Union, Rugby League, and Soccer. Contact the relevant football association to find out how you can get involved in a game locally.
- Australian Rules http://www.afl.com.au
- Rugby Union http://www.rugby.com.au
- Rugby League http://www.nrl.com
- Soccer http://www.footballaustralia.com.au
Cricket is a very popular game in Australia. If you are interested in playing, visit the Cricket NSW website to find out how to get involved.
There are many dance studios where you can learn to dance for fun or fitness, for all levels. Sydney Dance Company has an excellent reputation.
- Sydney Dance Company http://www.sydneydancecompany.com
- Dance Central http://www.dancecentral.com.au
- Urban Dance http://urbandancecentre.com
Increasingly popular both indoor and outdoor. There are two very busy indoor centers in Sydney.