When you arrive in Sydney you’ll want to meet other people. There are many ways to do this. You can meet people in your line of work, with similar interests or with the same background.
A very good place to start your Sydney exploration and gather information is the Newcomers Network. The Newcomers Network is an online guide for people who have moved or are planning to move to Australia, Sydney in particular. It provides resources from government, non-government and private organizations that can be accessed free of charge or registration. They also organize monthly ‘Welcome to Sydney’ events and have up to 100 people attending.
Newcomers Network http://www.newcomersnetwork.com
Meet Ups are also a way to meet other ex-pats. There are lots of different ex-pat groups including Italian, Spanish and French Meetups. Meetup groups normally occur monthly.
Sydney Expat Club http://sydneyexpatclub.com
You may find your consulate able to provide you with information on cultural activities or events where you can meet other people from your country. Visit our section on Consulates for contact details.
Business and Professional Organisations
There are numerous professional and business organizations. Below is just a sample.
- CTA Business Club. Commercial Travellers Business Club. http://ctabusinessclub.com.au/
- After Work Social Club. For business and professionals to meet socially. http://www.afterwork.com.au/
- Women’s Network. Business and networking events. http://www.womensnetwork.com.au
- Sydney Chamber of Commerce. Sydney business network. http://www.thechamber.com.au
- French-Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry. The business network between France and Australia. http://www.facci.com.au
- Australian British Chamber of Commerce. A business network between the UK and Australia. http://www.britishchamber.com/
- The American Chamber of Commerce in Australia. A business network between the US and Australia. http://www.amcham.com.au
- The Royal Automobile Club of Australia. Business and social club. http://www.raca.com.au/
- Tattersalls. A sporting, social and business club for men only. http://www.tattersallsclub.org
There are a dozen country clubs in Sydney including;
- Royal Sydney Golf Club http://www.rsgc.com.au/welcome/index.mhtml
- Sydney Golf Club http://www.sydneygolfaustralia.com
Community Services Organisations
Volunteering is a great way to contribute as well as an opportunity to meet people that care about the same issues as you do. Contact the organization you are interested in and let them know you would like to volunteer. You may wish to offer your services to a large NGO, to a small local organization, or at an art or cultural festival like the Sydney Film Festival.
- Rotary Sydney. Secular global local-centric volunteer community organization. http://www.sydneyrotary.com
- Sydney Film Festival http://www.sff.org.au
Use search engines, social networking sites, and message boards to find out about activities in Sydney where you will be able to meet like-minded people and socialize.
Another excellent way to meet other people is through sport. Sydneysiders are passionate about sports. There are tennis groups, football teams, netball teams, swimming groups, just to name a few that you can join.
- NSW Sports and Recreation http://www.dsr.nsw.gov.au
- Sports Matchmaker. Find a sports partner to play with. http://www.sportsmatchmaker.com.au