A technologically advanced wonderland that offers all the conveniences of most Western cities, while simultaneously preserving the exotic traditions, strict code of etiquette and ancient customs of the past, Japan offers a curious blend of cultural quintessence and rampant development. The place of sushi, tatami mats, cosplay, Hello Kitty, samurai, geishas, bullet trains, state-of-the-art technology and plenty of kitsch, Japan never disappoints.
From the awe-inspiring landscapes and lavender farms of the northern isle of Hokkaido, to the sun-drenched coastline of Okinawa in the subtropical south, through the brash modernity of Tokyo, the majestic cherry blossoms in Kyoto and the tranquility of the ancient temples, Japan is a fascinating and fulfilling place in which to live.
Home to over two million expatriates, Japan is a thriving expat destination and people from all over the world are lured here by the promise of the experience of a lifetime. Many of those that come with the intention of staying for just one or two years never leave. While expats can expect a high standard of living in the majority of Japan’s major cities, this does come at a price and the metropolises of Osaka and Tokyo are often named at the top of the lists of the world’s most expensive places in the world in which to live. That said, expatriates who are prepared to deviate from their western ways and experience life like a local will find life is much more affordable… and interesting.
If you are ready to get to the heart of the land of the rising sun, make sure you head there with all the information you need to make your move a success.
Uncover the mysteries of this postindustrial giant with our expatriate guides.
Recent article comments
- Monisha Olivera Belgarde i am waiting for my US passport number how can i surrender my India passport within 3 months if i dont have my US passport number yet I am waiting for 2 months now
- Jerry Camp Hello all I bought a townhouse in Como area and plan to retire to Italy maybe next year.Is someone has exact info can I come from US like next month or Italy still closed to US visitors?
- rudeboyrg I know this is an old post but just wanted to mention. Regardless of where you live, I keep all my accounts active by a very simple process. I free basic feeder account at a credit union and I keep...
- subia Jabeen nice blog! really helpfull ..
- Felicity Not being able to rent without a guaranty is not going to attract retirees to move to Argentina, many countries welcome foreigners that bring a stable income,no crime, no backpacking. But Argentina...