A technologically advanced wonderland that offers all the conveniences of most Western cities, while simultaneously preserving the exotic traditions, strict code of etiquette and ancient customs of the past, Japan offers a curious blend of cultural quintessence and rampant development. The place of sushi, tatami mats, cosplay, Hello Kitty, samurai, geishas, bullet trains, state-of-the-art technology and plenty of kitsch, Japan never disappoints.
From the awe-inspiring landscapes and lavender farms of the northern isle of Hokkaido, to the sun-drenched coastline of Okinawa in the subtropical south, through the brash modernity of Tokyo, the majestic cherry blossoms in Kyoto and the tranquility of the ancient temples, Japan is a fascinating and fulfilling place in which to live.
Home to over two million expatriates, Japan is a thriving expat destination and people from all over the world are lured here by the promise of the experience of a lifetime. Many of those that come with the intention of staying for just one or two years never leave. While expats can expect a high standard of living in the majority of Japan’s major cities, this does come at a price and the metropolises of Osaka and Tokyo are often named at the top of the lists of the world’s most expensive places in the world in which to live. That said, expatriates who are prepared to deviate from their western ways and experience life like a local will find life is much more affordable… and interesting.
If you are ready to get to the heart of the land of the rising sun, make sure you head there with all the information you need to make your move a success.
Uncover the mysteries of this postindustrial giant with our expatriate guides.
Learn more on our Tokyo Expatriate City Guide
Recent article comments
- berry snow i am dying to move to south korea when i am older (i want to go about 18 ys old) and i have been watching kdramas for years i really enjoy them 1000/10 and i am in love with bts and kpop, i really...
- humanlabrat What is a good rental website that has English support?
- Kennedy Gary Hey petra Eva! have you traveled to South Africa?
- Bobby Hadley I'm moving to Cebu in the Philippines I currently bank with chase bank what's the best option for this
- Roland Webster How did you get on? My wife and I are thinking of doing exactly the same and have the same questions. Could you please help us Thank you. Roland.