There are several major chains of supermarkets in Moscow.
- Auchan – With 10 hypermarkets in the Moscow region alone – predominately along the MKAD – this French company has become popular and successful here. Auchan offers many well-known international brands, but keeps prices low by focusing on goods produced in Russia. In Moscow proper, look for the smaller supermarkets, known as Auchan City.
Hours of operation
Hypermarkets: typically 8:30 -22:00
Auchan City: typically 24/7
- Perekrestok – The name of this chain of stores means intersection, and one can truly be found at almost every intersection. These supermarkets are mostly located within the city, and carry a smaller selection than the hypermarkets. Especially foreign brands are fewer and farther between, although you can still find the top global brands and even little treats such as American peanut butter. Prices are a bit higher than hypermarkets or your local open-air market. Still, the stores are a convenient, clean, and comfortable destination for your everyday shopping needs. Sign up for a club card and get small discounts as you rack up points.
Hours of operation: Varies; 9:00 – 22:00 to 24/7
- Sedmoi Kontinent – The most direct competitor with Perekrestok, Sedmoi Kontinent also feature smaller supermarkets all across Moscow, with a similar selection at a similar price range. The most noteworthy difference is the ability to order your groceries online or by phone, with delivery to your apartment for an extra fee. With the online order catalog available in English (albeit, with poultry translated as “bird”), this is a great service for busy people with little time to shop or those not yet comfortable venturing out into Moscow on their own. 3-5% discounts are available for the 3rd and 5th consecutive online orders.
+7 (496) 777 77 79
Hours of operation: Varies; 8:00 – 24:00 to 24/7
Mid-range and Gourmet
- Azbuka Vkusa – This chain of stores provides a higher level of service, a wider range of diverse and international products, and higher average price points then Perekrestok or Sedmoi Kontinent. A good selection of deli and prepared foods makes a quick stop to pick up dinner quite convenient. With 25 stores in Moscow and the Moscow region, it is relatively easy to find a branch nearby.
+7 (495) 504 34 78
Hours of operation: 24/7
- Globus Gourmet – This chain of stores, which opened in Moscow in 2005, provides 24-hour shopping for upscale grocery imports. The stores are quite a bit pricier than your standard supermarkets, but offer a selection of items that are more difficult to find in your corner store. It offers fresh bread and exquisite pastries, imported cheeses and high-quality meats cut to order. Noteworthy features are a large selection of olives and an excellent choice of prepared foods made from the best ingredients.
+7 (495) 662-6603
Opening hours: 24/7
Russian Historic Gourmet Shops
- Yeliseyevsky Gastronom – A pre-revolutionary historic landmark located in the city center, it is worth visiting just to admire the stunning architecture and massive chandeliers. Its selection of fresh seafood, meat, and cheeses doesn’t particularly distinguish it from other Moscow gourmet stores (although the higher prices do), but it’s also a great destination for souvenirs or gifts of elaborately decorated boxes of chocolates and candies.
14 Tverskaya Ul.
Tel.: +7 (495) 650 46 43
Closest metro: Tverskaya
Hours of operation: 24/7
- Gastronom No 1. – Gastronom No. 1 is located inside the GUM department store on the Red Square. It provides a decadent selection of fresh seafood and sushi, and imported treasures such as exotic fruits and French cheeses. Especially noteworthy are the unsurpassed selection of coffee beans, and the unique collections of memorable Soviet-era goods and locally-produced specialties such as birch juice.
3 Red Square (1st floor, GUM shopping center)
+7 (495) 788 43 43
Closest metro: Ploshchad Revolutsii
Hours of operaton: 10:00 – 20:00