Toronto preview


Temporary Residence Visa

A Temporary Residence Visa (TRV) is usually good for six months. When you arrive in Canada, the visa's expiry date will be stamped in your passport, as will the expiry dates of any permits for which you have applied. If you stay in Canada past the TRV expiry date, you will be asked to leave the country.

Extending Your Stay

If you wish to stay in Canada longer than your visa permits, you will need to apply for an extension. This must be done at least 30 days before your TRV expires. If you wish to change the type of visa you hold, you will need to send in a fresh application. Likewise, if you change your job or your child’s school you will need to send in a revision to the applicable visa. Applications can be downloaded at Once the application has been filled out, you will need to send it to a Canadian Visa Office in your area. For a complete list of Canadian Visa Offices, their locations, and websites, click here.

In brief, you must apply for an extension if:

  • You wish to stay longer in Canada.
  • You wish to change the status of your permit (eg: You have finished your studies and now wish to work in Canada)
  • You wish to change the conditions of your stay (eg: changing to a new school or workplace)

Click here for the TRV extension applicatio…