As the largest city in Canada and the political centre of Ontario, Toronto is home to many prominent newspapers. There are three primary papers originating in Toronto, plus many local papers.
- The Globe and Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com; this is a national newspaper that is published daily. While it does have a section dedicated to Toronto events, it focuses far more on national and international news.
- The National Post: http://www.nationalpost.com; the National Post is a daily paper with extensive coverage of financial news. Unlike the other national papers, the National Post is not Toronto-based, and does not have a Toronto section.
- The Toronto Star: http://www.thestar.com; the Toronto Star is known for its coverage of national and provincial issues. There is a sizable section on Toronto within the paper. This is probably the most popular newspaper in Canada, especially with middle-class readers.
- The Toronto Sun: http://www.torontosun.com; geared to the working class, the Toronto Sun is focused more on local events and entertainment news than other national newspapers, making it a popular choice with many readers.
Local newspapers focus more on events in and around the city. Each region in the GTA has its own local newspapers, although many are only published weekly or biweekly. If you are looking for information specific to an area, the local newspaper is a great place to start.
- The Etobicoke Guardian – http://www.insidetoronto.ca/to/etobicoke
- The North York Mirror – http://www.insidetoronto.ca/to/northy
- The Underground – http://www.the-underground.ca
- Georgetown Independent / Acton Free Press – http://www.independentfreepress.com
- In Burlington – http://www.inburlington.com
- Oakville Beaver – http://www.oakvillebeaver.com
- The Burlington Post – http://www.burlingtonpost.com
- Caledon Enterprise – http://www.caledonenterprise.com
- The Brampton Guardian – http://www.thebramptonguardian.com
- The Caledon Citizen – http://www.caledoncitizen.com
- The Mississauga News – http://www.mississauga.com
International newspapers from around the world are available at a wide variety of news stands. Gateway Newstands carry some of the better known papers from London, New York, and Paris. They also handle special orders, so click the link for the location nearest you. For a comprehensive list of news stands in Toronto, click here.