People in Sydney furnish their homes in a variety of ways. Some prefer completely new interiors, others search long and hard for secondhand treasures to create their living spaces and others use a combination of new and used. From new to antique and everything in between, you will find many options available.
If you wish to buy something new, there are numerous chains and independent furniture stores. You can find new furniture shops in most shopping centres and districts. Department stores also sell furniture. All these stores follow the same trends in furniture and stock similar items. If you are after something distinct, there are some amazing furniture shops in the city, eastern suburbs and north shore offering the latest in furniture design. The benefit of buying new is that they can deliver and in many instances can offer staggered payments and/or interest free payment periods.
- Ikea http://www.ikea.com/au/en/
- Domayne http://www.domayne.com.au
- Freedom Furniture http://www.freedom.com.au
- Coco Republic http://www.cocorepublic.com.au
- Schamburg and Alvisse: sustainable Australian designer furniture. Priced in the high-end. http://www.schamburgalvisse.com.au
- Beyond Furniture: European contemporary designs. Priced middle to high-end.http://www.beyondfurniture.com.au
- The Design Establishment: handcrafted ad high quality designer pieces sourced internationally. Priced in the high-end. http://www.designestablishment.com.au
- Polifor: contemporary Italian design. Priced in the high-end.http://www.poliform.com.au
If you prefer secondhand furniture you can try Parramatta Road, Camperdown (Inner West) which has a trail of antique furniture stores that are worth browsing. If you are after secondhand, but not necessarily antique, there are many secondhand furniture stores along King Street in St Peters, also in the Inner West.
Another option is to look online for secondhand goods. Gumtree is a website that enables free trading of secondhand goods and this is widely used between expats. Much of the items are high quality as they have only been used for a year or two. Users can post pictures and then it is simply a matter of contacting the seller to see the item in person.