Facilities for Pets Guide
Sydney is pet friendly city. Many people own pets. Dogs and cats are the most popular pets but some people keep horses, birds and fish too. You will find there are many services and facilities available for your pet.
- If you are walking your dog you are required to keep it on a lead unless it is at a dog park where it can play and run off-leash. This is not strictly enforced, however, if your animal attacks another dog or child you will be liable.
- Your dog droppings need to be collected by you and disposed of in a proper trash receptacle. This is usually practiced and it is frowned upon not to “scoop the poop”.
- All dogs must be micro-chipped.
- All dogs must be registered at a local council.
- All Sydney councils prefer cats to be kept indoors at night or, preferably, all the time. This is because cats are natural predators and are destructive to native wildlife, killing possums, birds, reptiles and frogs.
- Cats must be micro-chipped.
- All cats must also be registered at a local council.
To register your cat or dog, it is a two part process. Firstly all cats and dogs need to be microchipped. This is done at a local vet and must be done by 12 weeks of age. At the time you will receive a mircochipping certificate. Secondly, you pay a liftime registration fee to the local council. To do this you can post a copy of the microchipping certificate with the registration form and appropriate fee to your local council. Costs depend on the animal but approx $40 for desexed and $150 for sexed animals.
Visit the council website appropriate to your residence and download the application there.
Dog Parks and Beaches
There are many dog parks in Sydney where you can let your dog play, socialise and run off-leash. Doggy bags and bins are on site so you can dispose of your dog’s droppings. Contact your local council to find out the ones in your area or ask a local dog owner.
Popular dog parks and beaches include:
- Rushcutters Bay Park, New Beach Road, Rosebay: Large park area, nice but quite close to a main road.
- Balgowlah, North Harbour Reserve, Condamine St: Large park, poo bins and poo bags provided, BBQs , near open water.
- Bayview Boat Ramp, Rowland Reserve, Pittwater Road: sloped grass park with a flat walk down to beach.
A comprehensive list of all Sydney dog parks can be found at: http://www.dogs4sale.com.au/Off_Lead_Areas_Sydney.htm
Kennels and Dog Walkers
If you need to go away and you need someone to look after your pet, there are many kennels and catteries around Sydney. Another option is to hire a local to ‘babysit’ your pet. You can find a local dog or cat sitter in your area’s local newspaper.
- ‘Club Kurnell’: For dogs. Coined ‘Club Kurnell’ by animal lovers, this kennel provides their canine guests long morning walks on the beach. A favourite for dogs and their owners. Phone only: 0407 493 261
- Marendale Pet Resort, Boarding Kennels & Cattery, 1 Bibbenluke Avenue Duffys Forest NSW 2084. Located near the North Shore, this is a popular long stay boarding kennel.
- Cat Clinic https://www.uniquelycats.com/ Boarding, grooming, dental. Located in Willoughby near the North Shore.
If you work a lot or just want to treat your dog, there are doggy day care centres and dog walkers. These services usually offer grooming as well.
- Tails R Wagging http://www.tailsrwagging.com Based in Rozelle has doggy day care, boarding, grooming and pet minding.
- Stix N Bonez http://www.stixnbonez.net Located on city fringe in Alexandria, doggy care and play centre.
- Dogs @ Play http://www.dogsplay.com.au Doggy day care in Surry Hills.
Pet Food & Supplies
Pet food and supplies can be bought from supermarkets, pet shops and veterinarians. There is usually a pet shop in all major shopping centres. ‘Roo’ meat (kangaroo) is a common healthy pet food used here in Australia for both dogs and cats. It can be bought in supermarkets in the cold pet food section and at some pet stores. It is normally given to pets raw.
Popular suppliers are:
- PetBarn which is a chain of Pet stores with a huge range of foods and other products. http://www.petbarn.com.au See website for store listings.
- BowHouse Bondi Beach http://www.bowhouse.com.au
- PawsPoint Deli: Luxury deli and boutique for dog: http://pawspoint.com.au
Or you can try the Pet Deli, an online store that delivers Australia-wide many local and international brands of dog food. http://www.petdeli.com.au
A similar store is http://petstoretoyourdoor.com.au
- Dogue: Boutique day spas with doggy day care as well. Definitely for the pampered pet! Located in Bondi and in Manly. http://www.dogue.com.au
- PetDesign: 3 salons in Manly, Lane Cove, Epping. http://www.groomer.com.au
- Paw Paws: Urban retreat for dogs. Located on city edge 9waterloo) http://pawpaws.com.au