To purchase most medicine in Australia you will require a prescription from a doctor. Foreign prescriptions are not accepted. If you want to bring medicine into Australia, it will need to be cleared by Customs. In most situations it is allowed, as long as it doesn’t exceed three months worth, it is not a prohibited drug and you have a letter from your doctor. You can find a full list of prohibited drugs on the Department of Health and Aging website. Natural medicines that have not been processed have the potential to harbour micro-organisms or other forms of life and will be subject to Quarantine.Medicine that does not require a prescription can be bought ‘over the counter’ at pharmacies, or at supermarkets. Over the counter medicine includes some asthma sprays and headache tablets. Pharmacists are also known as Chemists and they will normally advise you on what to take if you have an ailment. Most chemists are independent but there are a few chains as well.
There is often an after hours chemist attached to the 24 hour medical centres, and several suburban late night chemists.
Chatswood 24 Hour Medical & Dental Centre, 270 Victoria Ave, Chatswood, NSW 2067, 1800 458 888
If you require a chemist after hours and you are not sure where to go, the Pharmacy Guild of Australia has an after hours number you can call, which is listed under this paragraph. They will be able to tell you which chemists are open late near you. If you require medical assistance after hours, it’s best to go to your nearest hospital. They will be able to provide you with the medication you require.
Chemist Emergency Prescription Referral Service Service (After Hours)
Phone: (612) 9467 7100
- Terry White Chemists http://www.terrywhitechemists.com.au
- Priceline http://www.priceline.com.au
- Soul Pattinson Chemist http://www.soulpattinson.com.au
- Medicare Australia http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/travelling-to-australia.jsp
- Department of Health and Aging, Bringing Medicine into Australia http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/general-guidance-for-travellers-bringing-medicines-to-and-from-australia
- Australian Customs http://www.customs.gov.au
- The Pharmacy Guild Australia, NSW Branch http://www.guild.org.au/nsw_branch/new-south-wales-branch