Pets may be brought into Hong Kong if a special permit has been applied for and issued in advance by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department. Applications can be made by mail or in person at the address detailed below and the application form can be downloaded from for bringing your pet in Dubai.

Permit issuing Desk (Counter No. 10)
5/F Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department
Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices
303 Cheung Sha Wan Road

Together with the application you will be required to produce the following information:

  • Animal Health Certificate: Dated less than 14 days before the animal’s arrival in Hong Kong. The certificate confirms that the animal is free from any infections or illnesses and is not pregnant (or less than 4 weeks pregnant).
  • Residence Certificate: Confirming that the animal has been permanently residing in the country of origin for the preceding 180 days, or since birth.
  • Vaccination Certificate: Confirming that the animal has been vaccinated as per the requirements. For dogs these vaccinations are Canine Distemper, Infectious Canine Hepatitis and Canine Parvovirus. For cats, Feline Panleucopaenia (Infectious Enteritis) and Feline Respiratory Disease Complex (Cat Flu).
  • Airline Certificate: Confirming that the animal has traveled the entire journey on one aircraft without leaving the aircraft en route and/or without any stopping/changing-over in a country/place of lower health status; and was not in contact with any other animals.

The application fee for the first animal is HK$432 and HK$102 is charged for every additional animal after that. Fees must be paid at the time of the application by check or bank draft payable to The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. It usually takes five working days to process the application, subject to provision of all required information.

The quarantine requirement for pets varies for 0 to 6 months according to the country they have traveled from and their vaccination history. Countries of origin are divided into three categories; Category I, II and III. While animals from Category I and II countries can enter Hong Kong without the need for quarantine, animals from Category III will require a quarantine period of four months for which the owner will be charged. Details of the countries listed in each category can be found on the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation website:

Although it is possible to do all the paperwork yourself, it is recommended that you employ a pet import agent well in advance, who will take care of all the paperwork, permits and required certifications on your behalf. A list of recommended agents can be found below.

Pet Importers:

Aeropet Co.
Unit 10, 16/F Fullagar Industrial Building
234 Aberdeen Main Road, Aberdeen
Tel: 2744 3330

Shop B2, Marina Cove Shopping Centre
Sai Kung, New Territories
Tel: 2358 1774

Ferndale Kennels & Cattery
SX-2031 Pak Tam Chung
Sai Kung Country Park
Tel: 2792 4642

International Pet Travel
Unit A8, 6/F Wah Shing Industrial Building
18 Cheung Shun Street
Lai Chi Kok, Kowloon
Tel: 3428 2162

Allied Pickfords
607-608, 248 Queen’s Rd East
Wan Chai
Tel: 2736 6032

F2, 13/F Gee Tung Cheong Industrial Building
4 Fung Yip St, Chai Wan
Tel: 2976 9969

Import of Guide Dogs

To facilitate the importation of guide dogs (disability assistance dogs) the AFCD has introduced a new policy that exempts the animal from quarantine and the requirement of 6 month residency in the exporting country. This exemption comes into force after the submission of the results of a blood test for Rabies antibody which should be performed at least 6 months prior to entry to Hong Kong. This policy is applicable to guide dogs imported from all countries.

These dogs are also imported in a similar fashion to other household pets and require a special permit for which the following documents have to be submitted.

  1. Completed Application Form – Form No. AF240
  2. Completed Declaration Form – Form No. PC102
  3. DAD Certification which has to be provided a recognized organized that certifies that the animal is a DAD.
  4. The Rabies Antibody Test Report
  5. Completed Supplementary Certificate – Form No. PC103 or PC 104 which is required to be signed by a recognized veterinarian in the home country of export.
  6. Vaccination Record(s)

Relocating from Hong Kong with your pet

If you need to export your pet to your home country, the rules involved in the move differ from country to country, for instance during a move from Hong Kong to USA or Canada, pets on some airlines can travel as excess baggage but if you are moving to Australia, New Zealand, Singapore or the UK from Hong Kong they have to travel as cargo. The website of the Export-A-Pet agency lists the main requirements for every country and the time needed for preparation of documents and the vaccinations required for the export process.

The website of the Agriculture and Fisheries department also has much advice for the process of export including the recent changes in the export of pet procedures to Europe.