Real Estate Terminology Guide
The following terms are commonly used in real estate listings:
- BHK stands for bedroom, hall (living room), kitchen (i.e., 3BHK=3 bedroom, hall, kitchen apartment).
- PG: Paying Guest accommodation. Cheap rooms (sometimes shared) in houses or blocks. Popular with students; meals are usually included.
- Independent: A house having its own entrance, that you do not share with others.
- Villa: a mansion or large house
- Farmhouse: a large country house, though not necessarily on a farm.
- Ground floor: The lowest floor (at level with the road) is called ground floor and the floors about are numbered from one. Some ads for bungalows might advertise for G+2 (ground floor plus higher levels or first floor and second floor)
- Furnished accommodation: Can vary, it can either mean a fully equipped house with all the utilities ready to move in or might even mean a flat in which the owner has put together a few random pieces of extra furniture from their own house. Fans will be provided in most apartments, however, air-conditioning units might not be.
Two typical ads are listed below to give you an idea of the type of language used:
1) 2BHK AVAILAVABLE FOR RENT FULLY FURNISHED ON 2ND FLOOR EXCELLENT LOCATION ONE OF THE POSH LOCALITIES IN DELHI. NO POWER CUT, 24H WATER SUPPLY. CONTACT RAHUL 9891343433
2) Apartment for rent with 2 bedrooms, drawing room, kitchen, all new untouch. Plus one empty room and servant quarter on second floor. Fully independent. Walking distance from milk booth, vegetable stalls, Spencer store and other markets. 300 meters away from colony’s club cum park with children corner full of toys and swimming pool. Only for foreigner, especially from Embassy.
Call Mr. Suman Tel 9810345133