Most offices in Delhi observe a five-day or six-day work week, with Sundays off. All though the year, there are many holidays, more than are common in most Western countries. Some of the bank holidays in India are fixed while others, specifically for Indian festivals, vary every year as they are calculated according to the Indian (lunar-based) calendar.
Fixed date holidays followed in Delhi are:
- Republic Day: 26th January (India become a democratic republic on this day in 1950)
- Independence Day: 15th August (India attained freedom from the British Rule on this day in 1947)
- Gandhi Jayanti: 2nd October (Birthday of Mahatma Gandhi-the Father of the Nation)
Holidays (based on Lunar/Indian calendar):
- Dussehra: In October or November, Dussehra or Vijayadashmi is a Hindu festival to celebrate victory of goodness over evil.
- Diwali: Festival of lights, celebrates the victory of Lord Rama over the Ravana, the evil king of Lanka, and is sometim…