There are many after-school activities for children of all ages in Sydney, both indoor and outdoor. With a huge array of beaches, walking and bike tracks, swimming pools, playing fields and horse riding you will be spoilt for choose. Indoor activities include cinemas, theme parks and museums. Throughout the year you can find family friendly festivals and community events to take your children to as well.
There are many after-school activities, weekend and holiday sports options.
- On summer holidays and weekends, many Australian kids take part in Nippers, junior lifesaving. This can be done at any Eastern Suburbs or Northern Beaches Surf Life Saving Clubs. http://www.slsa.com.au
- A really great soccer development place for kids in the Eastern Suburbs is http://www.monstersunited.com.au/
- Minkey Hockey is a non-competitive Saturday morning hockey activity. For the Glebe club visit: http://www.glebehockey.org.au/juniors/minkey/
- A similar program run in the Eastern Suburbs is at Randwick: http://www.stgeorgerandwick.org
Visit the Australian Sport website for activities in your local area. http://www.ausport.gov.au/participating/aasc
Dancing, Music and Art
Dancing is very popular with girls and boys in Sydney with many different dance troupes available.
The largest dance schools near the CBD include:
- http://www.kickperformancegroup.com.au/ Now running the famous GLEE program
- http://www.urbandancecentre.com Located in Glebe
- http://www.brentstreet.com.au Located at the Fox Studios in Moore Park, (Eastern Suburbs)
- http://www.mangodance.com.au/ Located in North Sydney
Music lessons can be found by asking at your local school, they are best able to provide recommended music teachers.
- Forte Music is one of the larger chain music schools with 5 locations, http://www.fortemusic.com.au
- For guitar lessons : http://www.g4guitarmethod.com.au
Community centres in your local areas will run school holiday art programs such as:
- And the Northbridge Art School has classes after school on weekends: https://www.gallery307artschool.com.au/
Most parks have a children’s playground and toilet facilities. To find out about parks in your area, visit your local council’s website.
For a very scenic spot to take the kids, one of the nicest kids parks is by the beach at Balmoral Beach, or there is a fantastic park at Bronte Beach.
Most council libraries have a great range of children’s literature. During the week they will conduct story time and regularly have activities on weekends.
Of Particular Interest
- Powerhouse Museum http://www.powerhousemuseum.com
- Luna Park http://www.lunaparksydney.com
- Centennial Park http://www.centennialparklands.com.au
- IMAX cinema http://www.imax.com.au
Probably one of the best online tools for kids in Sydney is http://www.kidspot.com.au
There are also events for children that happen throughout the year. The City of Sydney has comprehensive activities and events guides.
- YMCA Kids Programs http://www.ymcasydney.org/