Short Stay (‘Tourist’, ‘Schengen’) Visa: In general a visa extension is not possible. Holders are permitted to stay up to 90 days within a 180 day period. After your 90 days have expired you must wait another 90 days before reapplying for a visa. Should you choose to change your status (i.e., apply for a Long Stay visa) you will have to return to your home country to do so, before re-entering France.
- Long-Stay (‘Paid Internship’, ‘Student’, ‘Long Stay for Non-Professional Purposes’, ‘Work’) Visa: As these visas are quickly converted into residence permits upon your arrival and registering in France, there is no visa extension. Rather, there is an extension of your residence permit. See below for details on extending your residence permit.
Renewal of Residence Permits
To renew a carte de séjour or obtain a copy of a current card, you should call 01 53 21 25 50, which is the Foreigners Reception Center (Centre de réception des étrangers – Préfecture de Police) to schedule an appointment at the Prefecture de Paris. You should call at least two months ahead of the expiration of your current carte de sejour. After the phone call, you will receive a letter with instructions on documents to bring and which center to go to on the date of your appointment. You can also visit https://www.ppoletrangers.interieur.gouv.fr/?motif=rensej to schedule an appointment.
While the documents will vary depending on the purpose of your stay in France, you will usually need to present the following:
- The appointment letter
- A valid passport
- Your current Carte de Sejour
- Proof of address in France (Electricity bill, France Telecom bill, Rental statement, etc)
- Proof of resources (Your three last bank statements, income tax statements, if applicable, last 3 pay slips)
- A copy of your work contract or proof of admission in an education facility
- Proof of medical insurance
- 3 ID photographs
For further information on the renewal process you may call tel. 08.91.01.22.22 or 01.58.80.80.58 (Monday through Friday from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.) or visit the website at http://www.prefecturedepolice.interieur.gouv.fr/Vos-demarches/Ressortissants-etrangers/Titres-de-sejour/Autres-nationalites?&spl_f=.