The best way of finding a home in London is to stay in your chosen area and look at each new advertisements, every single day. Spring is a better time to look, however if you have to move in the middle of winter or summer, the research procedure is the same. You will only need to put a little more effort into it.
Loot is one of the only classifieds papers that hasn’t been run down by the internet. It is published three times per week and can be bought for £1.50 from your favorite news agent in London. You can also find it online at http://www.loot.com.
- Gumtree: http://www.gumtree.com
This is a good resource if you’re looking to rent a home. You can even find used furniture on Gumtree to furnish your new home.
- Zoopla: http://www.zoopla.co.uk is one of the top website to find a home and it will also tell you all you need to know about your new neighborhood.
- Move That: http://www.movethat.co.uk
This is another excellent site for house hunters.
- Right Move: http://www.rightmove.co.uk
Rent or buy a house or apartment in the UK and find it on Right Move.
- Netlettings: http://www.net-lettings.co.uk. This website offers a handy monthly rent chart.
Real Estate Agents
Real estate agents don’t charge tenants but will charge if you are looking to purchase property and then the average commission is 1% – 3%. Most agents will drive you to see properties. If not, the properties will be within walking distance of their office/branch. An estate agents role is ambivalent as generally they represent both the owner and the buyer or renter. As a rule of thumb they may work slighly in favor of the owner, but this is not always the case. Whether you are buying or renting, the agent will do the negotiating for you. If you are renting and after you move in, they are usually your first port of call in case something goes wrong with the property.
Here are some big chains which have branches throughout the neighborhoods of London:
- Hamptons: http://www.hamptons.co.uk
Find a short let or sign for a year. Branches are around London.
- Savills: http://www.savills.co.uk
Offices around London and many properties available for purchase or rent.
- Hot Black Desiato: http://www.hotblackdesiato.co.uk
This smaller company has branches in North London and serves these communities. Their website points out areas with schools, supermarkets, and recreation centers.