Bookstores in Delhi
Books are very widely read in Delhi, so the market is well adapted to cater to voracious readers. All the bookshops mentioned below specialize in English-language books, although most have small Hindi sections. A few also have foreign language books (i.e., French, Spanish, and German).
- Bahri Sons (Khan Market, Phone: 2649 4610) sells books, magazines, children’s books, also provides publishing services. http://www.booksatbahri.com
- The Full Circle (Khan Market, Phone: 2465 5641) is one of the best shops to buy books as presents. You’ll find shiny new editions with cool covers as well as sincere-looking older versions, leather-bound coffee-table books, big hardcover tomes on ancient and colonial India (a surprisingly splendid range), and lots of neatly repackaged classics. http://fullcirclebooks.in
- Delhi Book Store (Daryaganj, Phone: 2325 0909) Special books for medical students, engineers, technocrats, corporate, scientists, academics, students, and scholars. http://www.delhibookstore.com/
- Teksons Book Shop (South Extension I, Phone: 4164 6504) http://www.teksonsbooks.com/
- Crossword (South Extension, Phone: 2625 7645) http://www.crosswordbookstores.com/ – Located on the second floor of a popular south Delhi shopping arcade. It provides books on every topic and prices are standard but they also offer seasonal discount sale.
- Children Book Trust (Bahadur Shah Zafar Marg , Phone: 2331 6790) is a reputed publishing house which offers an amazing variety aimed at children. http://www.childrensbooktrust.com/
- Oxford Bookstore (Barakhamba Road) http://www.oxfordbookstore.com/dotcom/oxford/
British Council Library (http://library.britishcouncil.org.in) is a good place to get books on Economics, Engineering, Information Technology, Law, Management, Medicine and Science and Technology. The library has educational videos, home videos, periodicals and newspapers from the UK.
Sunday Book Market (Daryaganj), held, of course, on Sunday, is one of the best markets to strike good deals on used books. The bazaar is open till about 5.30 pm, but get there early for good deals and the best selection.