Infants Guide Delhi
There are no formal expat mother-and-toddler groups in Delhi, but expats can enrol their kids in the nurseries run by the American and British embassies.
Apple (Chanakyapuri) run by the American Embassy, charges $3632 for the year and is a co-operative which expects full parental involvement. [Phone: 24198000 Extension- 4208]
Busy Bees (Chanakyapuri) run by the British High Commission charges $330 for the quarter. [Phone: 26872161] email@example.com
Even though priority is given to embassy employees, both do take children from outside the diplomatic enclave. Other nurseries popular with expats include:
- Your Kids R Our Kids (Jor Bagh) [Phone: 24697789] http://www.ykrok.in/ . Nursery-kindergarten.They also have a daycare.
- Magic Years (Vasant Vihar) [Phone: 26140317] http://www.themagicyears.com/. Montessori-style education.
- Little Senators Nursery And Play School (Vasant Vihar) [Phone: 26153196, 26153197, 9811564265 http://littlesenators.com/main.htm Montessori pre-school. Day care also available.
- Kangaroo Kids (Vasant Kunj ) [Phone: 26125419 , 26125423] Day care and nursery school.
- Little Minds Panchsheel Park [Phone: 6013550, 6014551] Day care and pre-nursery for children up to 2.5 years of age.
Most of the schools will take in children as young as 18 months into infancy or toddler programmes. The fees depend on the programme you choose and time you want the child to spend in the facility.
Full time nannies are very popular with Indians and expats alike. It is good idea to network with locals or your expat group to see if anyone comes highly recommended. To get an idea of how much you must pay the nanny ask around with your neighbours. Some good nannies charge as much as Rs 9000 or more per month (live-in or live-out) and they are usually paid in cash and not declared as employees.
The best way to find a nanny is to ask around with other expats or neighbours. You can also contact the Domestic Staff Registry (DSR) located on the grounds of the American Women’s Association (AWA) office. The DSR maintains files containing the work histories of cooks, housekeepers, nannies and drivers looking for employment. [Phone 2419 8509] http://www.awadelhi.com. Contact them about interviewing people in their files.
Additional childcare providers can be found at the following links: