Cost of living in Buenos Aires
The following prices are approximations. Prices fluctuate often due to unstable inflation rates.
The price for a typical 3-bedroom apartment in the center of the city ranges between US$636-$1,000. (Feb 2021) An apartment in this price range will typically be fully furnished and recently remodeled, and the price may also include amenities, such as utility costs, building fees (‘expensas’), and security or housekeeping services.
Utilities, per month, tend to only cost about $50-$150 per month for a 3-bedroom apartment.
Food prices have increased significantly due to inflation but still remain rather low in comparison to other western countries. For example (prices in pesos):
- liter of milk, $0.90
- a loaf of bread, $1.50
- half dozen eggs, $1.00
- a kilo of rice, $1
- kilo of white potatoes, $1.00
- kilo of oranges, $1.00
- kilo of strawberries, $5 in season
- half-kilo of sliced ham, $1.50
- half-kilo of deli cheese, $3.00
- 100 grams of peanuts, $0.50
- 100 grams of instant coffee, $3
- 1 medialuna, $1.50-$2
- 1 empanada, $3.50
- kilo of ground beef, $6.00
- kilo of chicken, on the bone, $4.00
- A ten-minute taxi ride will cost between $10-30
- Most bus, subway, and train rides cost around $1.20
- Petrol costs approximately $1.00 per liter.
- Movie tickets cost $6 on the weekend
- Opera/ballet/theater tickets cost between $20-$50, depending on whether you buy a ticket for a show and meal
- Gym memberships cost between $32-50 a month, depending on where the facility is, and what kind of membership package you purchase.
- A nice dinner out for two, including a bottle of wine, will cost between $30-50, not including dessert or coffee.
- A meal for 4 in a family restaurant will cost around $40, including drinks.
- Package rates for cable, internet, and phone cost around $215 per month.
- Housekeepers cost between $10-15 per hour.
- Babysitters cost about $10 an hour.
- Laundry services charge between $10-$20 per load (wash, dry, and fold).
- Dry cleaning typically costs $10 per item.
Private bilingual schools range in price from US$2,000 (Kindergarten) per year to over US$10,000 (high school). There are no fees for public education, including college-level courses.