A Thriving Metropolis Where East Meets West
Often considered to be China’s most sophisticated city, Shanghai is a modern upstart that is characterized by its fascinating mix of East and West. Often referred to as the “City on the Sea,” Shanghai is exotic and commercial, modern and old-fashioned, progressive and regressive – all at the same time.
Shanghai has long been the home of foreigners from all over the world. Following the events of the Opium War, the area was dividing into autonomous concessions that were each separately administered by the British, French and American occupiers. These individual nations each offered Shanghai their own culture, traditions and ways of life and paved the way for Shanghai’s role as home to people from different ethnicities and backgrounds. Today Shanghai attracts ex-pats from all over the world and the total number of foreigners living in the city is forecast to be over 800,000 by the year 2020.
Expat life in Shanghai is never dull. The city offers dizzying skyscrapers, a diverse night scene, endless shopping opportunities and some of the best restaurants in the world.
What’s the draw?
- A fascinating city where urban progress meets quintessential antiquity.
- A place where everything you need is right on your doorstep, whatever the time of night.
- A well-run city infrastructure that incorporates world-class technologies.
- A simultaneously terrifying and electrifying experience that everyone should undergo at least once in their life.
Don’t be under any disillusions. Settling into life in Shanghai will not be easy. There is Communist bureaucracy, challenges in finding accommodation, language barriers, Chinese traditions and a plethora of other issues that make settling into Shanghai difficult. That’s where we come in. Our guide to living in Shanghai removes the terrifying aspect of relocation by answering all of the questions you have, as well as those you may not have even thought of asking.
- Shanghai is an extremely eclectic city with many distinct neighborhoods; this makes choosing a place to live that meets your needs extremely difficult. Our Shanghai expat guide demystifies the top living areas in Shanghai with easy to compare information about the location, local amenities, transport and environment.
- Our guide directs you step-by-step through the particulars of every aspect of organizing your life here. From choosing a school for your children, organizing your banking and amenities and hiring a reliable “ayi”; through to finding places to shop, worship and groom your pet, we have it covered.
- When it comes to finding your way around a city as complex as Shanghai, you need someone in the know. Our expat guide to Shanghai is written by expatriates who have experienced everything you will experience and their expert knowledge of Shanghai is based on first-hand knowledge and insider tips that will be invaluable during your relocation.
Shanghai is a city in China that is so complex that it often seems to defy feasibility. Let us guide you step-by-step through the maze to a happy life.