Japan does not offer a “retiree” visa and instead retirees should enter Japan on some other visa (perhaps on a cultural visa – which is longer term than a standard tourist visa – to study zen or another art), live here for a number of years, and then apply for a long term resident visa (after seven years of residence in Japan) or a few years thereafter a permanent visa. While it’s virtually unheard of to do this – even if independently wealthy – retirement in Japan could conceivably be attained in this way.