If you walk down a street in New York City you are bound to hear a babble of different languages being spoken as the city is populated by millions of folk who belong to various different nationalities who speak a whole host of different languages. However English is accepted language of business in New York City and it is also the most widely spoken language, though it is followed closely by Spanish due to the city’s large Hispanic population. Official documents and notices are generally translated from English into languages such as Spanish, Russian, French, Chinese, Italian and Urdu as these languages are mainly spoken by the city’s myriad immigrant populations.
If you are moving to New York City from a non-English speaking country then it would be advisable to enroll in one the city’s many language schools that teach English. In fact New York City public schools also offer ESL (English as a Second Language) classes as a part of their curriculum.
Popular English language schools in New York City include:
- The Zoni Language Center (http://www.zoni.com/)
22 West 34th Street
New York, NY 10001
Phone: +1 212 736 9000
Fax: +1 212 947 8030
- The Bell School (http://www.bellschool.org/)
1535 McDonald Avenue,
Brooklyn, NY 11230, USA
Phone. +1 718 998 6060
Fax: +1 718 998 0602
- Geos NYC is another language school that has two campuses in New York City both of which are located in Midtown Manhattan (http://www.geosnyc.com/).
There are even schools that offer language studies for a whole host of foreign languages in New York City:
- Miss Aponte ( http://www.nycspanish.com/) is a popular Spanish teacher in New York City who offers a number of private classes for individuals who want to learn Spanish for business or for leisure.
- The French Institute (http://www.fiaf.org/) – The French institute offers a wide range of classes for both adults and children both at its language center on the Upper East Side as well as at the private homes of its pupils. Many well to do New Yorkers who can afford to send their children to private schools prefer that their children learn to speak French as well.
Language Center Office
22 East 60th Street
Phone:+ 1646 388 6612