There are many different cultural groups in Dubai. Some of these people have their own national dress, or at least their own fashions and styles of clothing.
The local Emirati people wear traditional clothing that is sold in specialist shops or made by special tailors. Women may wear ordinary Western clothing under their traditional clothing, so it is common to see female Emiratis in Western clothing stores. But it would be very unusual for Western people to go into either male or female stores selling the traditional Emirati clothes.
There are many Western clothing stores in Dubai from high-end designer fashion outlets, to popular high-street stores, to individual clothes stores, clothes section in supermarkets and shops selling factory seconds. You can also have something made at one of the city’s many tailors. The difference in the prices is staggering.
High-end designer fashion stores:
You can find all the designer brands you could ever want in Dubai. They do not come cheap, despite the fact that there is no value added tax in Dubai. They can all be found clustered together in the more exclusive sections of the popular shopping malls. This means that you won’t need to wear out your Jimmy Choos as you head from one store to the next. For as much choice in high-end designer fashion as you could possibly want, head for the following stores and shopping areas.
- Burjuman Center in Bur Dubai (http://www.burjuman.com)
- Emirates Boulevard in Emirates Towers (http://www.jumeirah.com/Hotels-and-Resorts/Destinations/Dubai/Jumeirah-Emirates-Towers/The-Boulevard)
- Fashion Avenue at the Dubai Mall (http://www.thedubaimall.com/en/general/shopcategory?filterTermId=181&zone=1)
- Harvey Nichols in Mall of the Emirates (http://www.harveynichols.com/output/Page221.asp)
- Saks Fifth Avenue in the Burjuman Center (http://www.saksfifthavenue.com)
- Via Rodeo in Mall of the Emirates (http://www.malloftheemirates.com/moe/En/MainMenu/SHOPPING/SHOPPINGDIRECTORY/tabid/88/PageName/Shopping/CatID/65/Default.aspx)
Popular high-street stores:
There are also many familiar high-street shops in Dubai offering good quality clothing at very reasonable prices. A good range of these can be found in most malls. Popular stores include:
- Bhs (http://www.bhs.co.uk) – mid-priced British high-street fashion for men and women
- Debenhams (http://www.debenhams.com) – a wide variety of high-street fashion and designer clothes at reasonable prices
- Gap (http://www.gap.com) – reasonably-priced, easy-to-wear clothes for the whole family
- Mothercare (http://www.mothercare.com) – stylish and hard-wearing children’s clothes for 0-10 year olds
- Next (http://www.next.co.uk) – high-street fashion for men and women from the UK
- Mango (http://www.mango.com) – stylish and fashionable clothes for young, urban women
- Marks & Spencer (http://www.marksandspencerme.com) – good quality clothing at reasonable prices for the whole family
- Monsoon (http://www.monsoon.co.uk) – unusual stylish clothes and accessories for women and girls with an ethnic edge
- Top Shop / Top Man (http://www.topshop.com) – trendy clothing for young men and women at very reasonable prices
- Zara (http://www.zara.com) – reasonably priced fashion for men, women and children with choices that suit most occasions
Outlets for inexpensive clothing:
- supermarkets such as Carrefour (http://www.carrefouruae.com), Hyperpanda (http://www.panda.com.sa) and Geant (http://geant-dubai.com)
- individual stores and stalls in the backstreets of Deira, Bur Dubai and Karama
- Sana (for factory seconds) in Karama
There are many tailors in the city who can make alterations, copy designs, and produce individual pieces, including fancy dress costumes. Most of them offer great service at very reasonable prices and are located in Satwa, Mina (or Meena) Bazaar in Bur Dubai, the Afghani market in Deira or Karama.
There are several tailors which are more well-known and charge accordingly.
Tailors for women include:
- Dream GirlTailors in Bur Dubai and Karama
- Grace Tailors in Mina Bazaar
- Parmar Tailors in Bur Dubai (http://www.parmartailors.com)
Tailors for men include: