Fitness Centers and Health Clubs
Most of the fitness clubs have year membership schemes and also daily or weekly passes. Prices vary but start at around AED 10,000 for an annual membership. Popular clubs include:
– This well-established club has a state-of-the-art gym and excellent facilities for all sports. It is particularly noted for tennis with the tennis championships being here every year.
Al Bustan Rotana Hotel
– This small fitness center has a well-equipped gym, popular fitness classes and an outdoor pool and jacuzzi. The flood-lit tennis courts and squash court ensure that it is popular in the evening as well as during the day.
Dubai Ladies Club
– This club is set in beautiful, tranquil grounds with its own private beach. It describes itself as an ‘ultra exclusive private members club for women’. As well as a modern fitness center with world-class facilities, it also contains a wellness center, spa, art and talent center offering popular classes and workshops as well as a childcare center. It is a ladies only club and is popular both local and expat women.
Dubai Marine Beach Resort and Spa
Jumeirah Beach Road
– This fitness club has state of the art facilities including a well-equipped gym, tennis courts and temperature-controlled pools. It offers popular aerobic and spinning classes. However, it is most popular for its large private sandy beach.
Ibn Battuta Mall, Burjuman Center, Dubai International Financial Center, Dubai Festival City, Al Mussalla Towers, Uptown Mirdif, Mirdif City Centre, Al Hana Center, Dubai Media City
– Fitness First began in Bournemouth in the UK in 1992. Since then it has grown to become the largest chain of gym, health and fitness clubs in the world. There are now more than 1.5 million Fitness First members and over 550 clubs worldwide.These popular clubs are known for great facilities and excellent fitness classes. The advantage of joining Fitness First is that when you’ve joined one, you join them all.
The Lakes, Meadows Village, Town Centre, Springs Village
– Hayya! health clubs provide members with luxury, relaxation and stat-of-the-art facilities. The classes are always full and succeed in fostering a friendly atmosphere to all, whatever their fitness level.
– This exclusive club offers excellent facilities for fitness and leisure. It is known for having one of the highest climbing walls in Dubai. There is a good range of activities for children which makes it very popular with families.
Yoga and Pilates Centers
Many of the fitness clubs offer yoga and pilates classes. These clubs specialize exclusively in these types of classes.
Breath & Health
Dubai Media City
Al Badia Golf Club
(championship course designed by Robert Trent Jones)
Tel: 04 601 0101
Dubai Creek Golf and Yacht Club
(one of the world’s ‘Top 100 Must-Play Golf Courses’)
Tel: 04 295 6000
Emirates Golf Club
(Championship grass course)
Junction 5, Sheik Zayed Road
Tel: 04 380 2222
(championship course designed by Ernie Else)
Dubai Sports City
Tel: 04 425 1010
(championship course designed by Colin Montgomerie)
Tel: 04 390 5600
Most fitness clubs and hotels have tennis courts although some of these are only open to club members. Many of the new freehold developments provide tennis courts for residents. The following clubs also provide coaching:
The Aviation Club
Tel: 04 282 4122
The Dubai Tennis Academy
American University in Dubai and Dubai Men’s College
Tel: 04 344 4674
Many apartment buildings, compounds of villas and new freehold developments all have pools that residents can use free of charge. The size and facilities vary with some pools having lifeguards and others not. In addition, most hotel pools are open to the general public for a daily fee of between AED 50 and AED 150.
Dubai also boasts two world-class water parks:
Atlantis Hotel, The Palm
Open: 10 am – sundown
Wild Wadi Waterpark
Jumeirh Beach Hotel
Open: 10 am – sundown
If you want to play soccer, you can contact the following.
Dubai Women’s Football Association
The Jebel Ali Centre of Excellence
Tel: 04 3475833
Safa Football Club
Playnation at Mirdif City Centre
As Dubai is located on the Arabian Gulf, it is not surprising that there is a wide range of water sports available. Most of the waterfront hotels in Jumeirah and the Dubai Marina offer water sports.
Al-Wasl Road, Jumeirah
Tel: 04 342 2993
Pavillion Dive Centre
Jumeirah Beach Hotel
Tel: 04 406 8828
Water skiing and wind surfing:
Jebel Ali Golf Resort & Spa
Tel: 04 814 5555
Le Meridien Mina Seyahi Beach Resort & Marina
Tel: 04 399 3333
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa
Tel: 050 426 2415
Sheraton Jumeirah Health & Beach Club
Tel: 04 399 5533