Expats can import up to two pets with them as long as they come accompanied with a health certificate issued by a veterinarian in the home country. They will not be subject to quarantine in India. However, remember that unlike in the West, rabies is still prevalent in India. Therefore, it is possible that your pet could be subjected to a six-month quarantine upon return to your home country.In December 2008, the Indian government notified that all pets entering into India must be issued a “No Objection Certificate” (NOC) from the Animal Quarantine Station in India, prior to landing into India. The No Objection Certificate is a temporary permit issued in India allowing pets to be brought into the country. This document takes about 5 working days to obtain.
Documents required prior to obtaining this document are (a copy to be sent to India):
- All vaccination records of the pet, including proof that the pet has been vaccinated against Aujossky’s disease, Distemper, Rabies, Leishmaoiasis and Leptospirosis.
- Government issued veterinary certificate from the exporting country (USDA document with the Annexure I/II in case of USA)
- Flight details / confirmation of the passenger’s travel into India / Copy of the airway bill
Your local clearing agent (or anyone, for that matter) in India must obtain the NOC from the Animal Quarantine Station in India. It is required to be obtained in person and cannot be applied for online. The NOC is sent to the shipper by fax or a scanned copy by email. The original must be presented to the airline at the port of entry of the pet before the pet has been loaded on the plane. If the pet is coming accompanied, the owner of the pet must carry the NOC. If not, it is also a good idea to forward a copy of the NOC to the airline in India before the pet boards the plane.
On arrival in India, all the certificates must be shown to the Customs Officer to allow entry to your animal. It is often a good idea to have a vet at the airport to clear the pet into the country (see Veterinarians for referrals).
Animal Quarantine & Certification Services (AQCS) offices are in the following four cities of India:
- New Delhi, Kapashera, Phone: 011-2506 3272
- Chennai, 83, Pallikkaranai, Phone: 044-2246 0659.
- Kolkatta, Phone: 033-2573 9777.
- Mumbai, Koperkhairane, Sector-11, Navi Mumbai – 400 709, Phone: 022-2755 2021.