New Zealand banks are safe and efficient with Internet banking a popular option that is widely encouraged. All bank employees speak English, some of main banks also offering translators to assist new immigrants and tourists. ATMs are located everywhere – in malls, on streets, at the airport – so they are never hard to find.
Transferring money internationally is easier and cheaper through an intermediary service such as http://www.nzforex.com or http://www.xe.com that will keep records of all of your bank accounts. You can also wire money internationally through your NZ bank, though this will incur a high fee.
Most banks are open Monday-Friday from 9am-4:30pm. Some branches offer extended and/or Saturday hours.
New Zealand’s main banks are:
- ANZ — http://www.anz.co.nz/ – International offices available
- ASB – http://www.asb.co.nz
- Bank Direct – http://www.bankdirect.co.nz
- Bank of New Zealand (BNZ) — http://www.bnz.co.nz
- HSBC — http://www.hsbc.co.nz – International offices available
- KiwiBank– http://www.kiwibank.co.nz/
- National Bank — http://www.nationalbank.co.nz/
- PSIS — http://www.psis.co.nz
- SBS Bank — http://www.sbsbank.co.nz
- TSB Bank — http://www.tsbbank.co.nz
- Westpac – http://www.westpac.co.nz