There are hundreds of radio stations in Moscow, including many music stations. Most of them play a heavy proportion of Russian hits, but you can find a good range of different music styles. There are no English-language radio stations broadcasting in Moscow, although you can find BBC Worldservice and other stations live on the Internet.
The following is a selection of popular Moscow radio stations to help you find your music for the road:
- 70.19 RM – Ultra: Modern rock ranging from Linkin Park to Rammstein.
- 88.3 FM – Retro Hits: A collection of golden oldies from the United States, Europe, and the Soviet Union.
- 89.1 FM – Radio Jazz: Jazz hits all day long.
- 90.8 FM – Relax: Easy listening from singers like Enya, Sting, and George Michael.
- 91.2 FM – Echo of Moscow: A news station (in Russian) that was originally founded during the Soviet Union. Attempts to shut it down in the 90s failed, and it’s now a reliable source of news to many. For the non-Russian speaking expatriate, it’s a good way to expose yourself to a constant immersion environment and hopefully pick up a few words!
- 95.2 FM – Rok na Radio: Classic rock hits from AC/DC to Iron Maiden and Metallica.
- 96.8 FM – Detskoe radio: Songs and entertainment (in Russian) for children.
- 100.9 FM – Radio Classic: Classic music by Andrea Bocelli, Yanni, Jens Gad, and more.
- 103.1 FM – Chanson: Refuses to play silly pop songs and dance music, and focuses on ballads across the genres of rock, folk, and jazz to find songs with meaningful lyrics.
- 103.4 FM – Radio Mayak: One of the oldest remaining stations, Mayak has roots in the Soviet Union and continues to be popular for its 5-minute news (in Russian) every half-hour, entertaining hosts (in Russian), and broad range of music selections.
- 103.7 FM – Maximum: Moscow’s biggest Top 20 hits radio station.
- 104.2 FM – NRJ (Energy): Top hits of energy-inspiring music from around the world.
- 105.7 FM – Russkoe radio: One of the most popular stations among people over age 30, this station plays Russian music only – generally pop songs.
- 106.2 FM – Europa Plus: A range of hit music including American, European, and Russian top hits. Everything from Beyonce to Lily Allen to Gorod 312.
- 106.8 FM: The hottest Russian and Western dance hits.