While most expats in Japan that are required to fill out a return choose to do so themselves, there are several sources one can turn to for help. Your company or the relocation company you used when entering Japan can usually offer some helpful advice regarding the taxes themselves or referring you to a qualified tax advisor or account.

You can also contact:

The Tokyo Regional Taxation Bureau (the National Tax Agency, found here: http://www.nta.go.jp/foreign_language/index.htm), can offer lend a helping hand. Located at No. 3 Otemachi Godo, Chosha 3-3-1 chome, Otemachi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo (or by telephone at 03-3216-6811). The Tokyo Regional Bureau or its district offices can assist you with your Japanese taxes from start to finish, and can process your taxes on the spot – refunds are paid several weeks after your final return has been filed.

Alternatively you can speak with the Japan Federation of Certified Tax Accountants’ Association (http://www.nichizeiren.or.jp/eng/index.html) which can provide some guidance in English.

For those requiring international tax support (primarily American’s who are subjected to taxes both in Japan and in the United States), accountants specializing in this area can be found here: http://tokyo.usembassy.gov/e/acs/tacs-tax2.html.